Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: PhilipWatkins on April 11, 2016, 06:41:29 am

Title: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: PhilipWatkins on April 11, 2016, 06:41:29 am
I'm getting some very strange results printing from Lightroom using Photo Black ink (on Moab Slickrock) paper on an Epson 3800 printer - with it producing some very unsaturated images that appear to be missing some (or perhaps most) of the colour.

I am able to print my images just fine using Matte Black ink & paper (Canson Acquarelle Arches), the colours come of just fine.  However, the instant I switch to Photo ink and metallic paper I am finding that the prints are very dull, and lacking most of the colour.  I switch back to the Matte Black ink and the colours instantly return for exactly the same image.

I'm using the correct print drivers.  The Photo Black has just been opened, along with about half of the other inks.  I've also just cleaned the nozzle.

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: dgberg on April 11, 2016, 07:15:10 am
What does your nozzle check look like with Pk selected?
Cleaning is only necessary if something is clogged.
Was the Pk clogged at all before the clean?
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: howardm on April 11, 2016, 07:33:02 am
I wonder if the switching valve is stuck in some form and in fact, you're never actually switching between MK & PK
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: PhilipWatkins on April 11, 2016, 08:10:44 am
What does your nozzle check look like with Pk selected?
Cleaning is only necessary if something is clogged.
Was the Pk clogged at all before the clean?

It doesn't complete - it comes up with an error saying cleaning failed (no message number).
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: PhilipWatkins on April 11, 2016, 08:12:19 am
I wonder if the switching valve is stuck in some form and in fact, you're never actually switching between MK & PK

Is this something I can control in someway ?
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: howardm on April 11, 2016, 10:10:23 am
no, you have no control over it.  it happens automatically when you tell the printer to switch inks and it's one of the more common (if not most common)  'weak' or failure points on the 38xx series.
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: dgberg on April 11, 2016, 11:51:26 am
It doesn't complete - it comes up with an error saying cleaning failed (no message number).

Lets back up a little.
What does your nozzle check look like?
The error message is a red flag as well.
In your printer screen it should show you which ink is selected in 2 ways.
It will say matte black or photo black. At the very bottom they should match.
The far left ink is matte and will show remaining level if selected. Photo black will be grid'd out.
If you have some sort of mismatch, now you have isolated a problem.
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: PhilipWatkins on April 12, 2016, 07:33:36 am
Lets back up a little.
What does your nozzle check look like?
The error message is a red flag as well.
In your printer screen it should show you which ink is selected in 2 ways.
It will say matte black or photo black. At the very bottom they should match.
The far left ink is matte and will show remaining level if selected. Photo black will be grid'd out.
If you have some sort of mismatch, now you have isolated a problem.

OK I've had a chance to go through this - the nozzle check print (on Auto) shows most of the printed check boxes having colour in them.  However, there are 9 or 10 missed boxes (out of several hundred) in the magenta in the left most column.   The other colours are fine.  There is also a whole row that looks like it has been mucked up that runs across the sheet near the top of the page.  Now the Photo Black was set on the printer to the right of the READY on the printer console and it was taking black ink from the 2nd cartridge (PK) and matte black (MK) was greyed out.  So no mismatch.  The console reported "Cleaning Error: Press the cancel/reset button" (same as cleaning when using MK).  The 3800 utility reported "Print Head Cleaning Failure" (when running the Nozzle check on the MK the utility disappears entirely). 

This is similar to what it does with Matte - though I've found that I can clear a lot more problems running Nozzle checks with MK than PK ink (it also doesn't seem to last as long).  I've also not previously found that the Cleaning Error impacts on the quality of the prints. 

Not sure where all that leaves me or what my next step should be - any advice welcome.
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: dgberg on April 12, 2016, 07:55:07 pm
Something weird going on. Sorry if you know some or all of this, it just may be the way you are trying to explain your issue.
The nozzle check does not clean or clear anything. The nozzle check should be perfect or almost perfect after the clean cycle.
It just shows you the status of all the nozzles and if you need to clean the head.
It looks like the magenta has an issue.
Not sure what you mean by mucked up area?

So you are saying you cannot get a cleaning cycle to complete without the message?
Nozzle check, if any colors have missing lines
then do a head clean.
After the cleaning cycle run a nozzle check to see if the cleaning cleared your clog.

This does not address any of the black ink issues you may be having.
You are not aborting the cleaning cycle in mid stream somehow?



Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: BobShaw on April 13, 2016, 12:18:13 am
You seem to have a couple of issues. Some clogged nozzles which others have described as well as the issue in the subject line of switching Matte To Photo Black.
Having just spent $600 fixing that I'll talk about that one. I am assuming 3800 is the same as 3880 here.

If you do a nozzle check one of the biggest mistakes you can make is not realising if there aren't 8 patches of colour. If you count them up and there are only 7 then a colour is completely missing. That is usually the PK on the left hand side. That is a sure sign that the change over is not working or that the PK is completely empty, regardless of what the system status says. Check that and or weigh the cartridge.

Also you don't need a computer or any drivers to change from PK to MK. You can do it from the LCD display on the printer and see the progress or otherwise. If that is not working then it is the Ink Delivery System has failed.
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: PhilipWatkins on April 13, 2016, 07:48:09 am
Something weird going on. Sorry if you know some or all of this, it just may be the way you are trying to explain your issue.
The nozzle check does not clean or clear anything. The nozzle check should be perfect or almost perfect after the clean cycle.
It just shows you the status of all the nozzles and if you need to clean the head.
It looks like the magenta has an issue.
Not sure what you mean by mucked up area?

So you are saying you cannot get a cleaning cycle to complete without the message?
Nozzle check, if any colors have missing lines
then do a head clean.
After the cleaning cycle run a nozzle check to see if the cleaning cleared your clog.

This does not address any of the black ink issues you may be having.
You are not aborting the cleaning cycle in mid stream somehow?






Sorry by "mucked up" I mean that in the four columns of different coloured check boxes there is one line where the entire row of check boxes in the first and fourth columns is missing (and a row either side of it has incomplete check boxes) and the second and third column has a row and bit (either side again) of much darker check boxes than the columns further up or down the test page.  Sorry this is hard to explain without a scanner to show it.  All that said - it is just one line (row) and maybe one more either side of it.  It then goes on to print the rest of the page with few problems.  I let the nozzle check run full cycle.  I will try cleaning it but I think I may have done that already with the Photo Black.

Yes I can't get a complete cycle without the message.  Though it doesn't seem to impact in any way of Matte Black printing.
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: PhilipWatkins on April 13, 2016, 07:51:34 am
You seem to have a couple of issues. Some clogged nozzles which others have described as well as the issue in the subject line of switching Matte To Photo Black.
Having just spent $600 fixing that I'll talk about that one. I am assuming 3800 is the same as 3880 here.

If you do a nozzle check one of the biggest mistakes you can make is not realising if there aren't 8 patches of colour. If you count them up and there are only 7 then a colour is completely missing. That is usually the PK on the left hand side. That is a sure sign that the change over is not working or that the PK is completely empty, regardless of what the system status says. Check that and or weigh the cartridge.

Also you don't need a computer or any drivers to change from PK to MK. You can do it from the LCD display on the printer and see the progress or otherwise. If that is not working then it is the Ink Delivery System has failed.

I did actually do the switch over from MK to PK on the printer console (not by sending through a glossy print and having the software do it)  and it worked without problems.  I am worried that if it is going to cost $600 to fix whether I might be better off just using it for matte prints (which it still seems to do very well) and look to acquire a new printer.  Is the $600 to repair it worth it?
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: PhilipWatkins on April 13, 2016, 08:12:46 am
The clean with PK after the nozzle check still produces a much similar result.
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: dgberg on April 13, 2016, 08:52:50 am
This is what you should be seeing from your nozzle check.
Still not sure what is going on with your blacks.
I would keep printing with it but in my opinion it is not worth repairing.
When my 3800 quit I pulled the inks (All but 2 are usable) and purchased a 3880.
Not sure if you can find one since the P600/P800 came out.
With rebate you can get the P800 for around $850.

Just to clarify. I have refillable carts for my 3880 and can pull inks from any of my Epson K3 carts to fill the refillables.
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: BobShaw on April 13, 2016, 10:08:45 pm
I did actually do the switch over from MK to PK on the printer console (not by sending through a glossy print and having the software do it)  and it worked without problems.  I am worried that if it is going to cost $600 to fix whether I might be better off just using it for matte prints (which it still seems to do very well) and look to acquire a new printer.  Is the $600 to repair it worth it?
OK, then it is not the PK to MK switch over if it says it has changed over and you get 8 patterns on Nozzle check. In hindsight it was not worth fixing for me as apart from the $600 I lost about half of the ink.
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: PhilipWatkins on April 14, 2016, 05:49:28 am
Yes I do get the full 8 colours on the nozzle check from the 'Print' button (magenta is a bit patchy but still mostly there).  What I was describing above was the output of the 'Auto' button.

Like Bob I live in Australia (Canberra) and I'm not sure whether Epson offer rebates in Australia ? 

Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: dgberg on April 14, 2016, 06:36:05 am
And that is one of your problems.
Patchy  or incomplete is no good. Just several missing lines can give you unsaturated images like you are getting.
If your cleanings cannot clear it up and your images are still coming out unsaturated then it may be replacement time if you have tried everything else.
About once a week I put several drops of cleaning fluid on the head pad to keep it moist.
Also we run humidifiers here at 45% for our 5 Epsons and our clogs have dropped by 50%.
Takes a little work but worth the effort.
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: howardm on April 14, 2016, 07:02:43 am
Philip,  pls post a picture of the AUTO output showing all of the color blocks.
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: BobShaw on April 14, 2016, 05:31:47 pm
Philip, PM sent.
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: PhilipWatkins on April 15, 2016, 07:10:20 am
Philip,  pls post a picture of the AUTO output showing all of the color blocks.

Picture attached .. note that I've done quite a few other nozzle checks on Auto and found that they don't produce the "line" at the top of the page ... its a bit hit and miss.

Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: dgberg on April 15, 2016, 07:37:20 am
Pdf is blank.

Never mind got it now.
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: PhilipWatkins on April 15, 2016, 07:26:04 pm
Pdf is blank. File is too large.
Reduce it and try again


I'll get another copy next week - I can't see any Preferences in Adobe Reader to reduce it from 600dpi to 300.  That said, I tried to download it and had no trouble viewing it ...
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 15, 2016, 08:18:35 pm
Pdf is blank. File is too large.
Reduce it and try again
I had no trouble downloading and viewing the pdf.

Clearly the Magenta cartridge has problems. I would take it out and shake it a few times, reinsert it, and try another nozzle check (without a cleaning). If it still isn't perfect, try a new Magenta cartridge and see if there is any improvement.

I had a similar persistent problem recently on my aging 3800, when two cartridges failed to clean up, even after replacing them with new ones. My next try was to spray a little Windex on a Q-tip and dab the opening where the ink goes from cartridge into the printer. I let it sit there for several minutes and then wiped the area clean (gently) with a paper towel. That worked fine. Apparently some ink had dried up right at that point, clogging the entrance.

I should add that my nozzle check always shows all eight patches in a single row across the narrow end of an 8.5x11" sheet of paper, just like what Dan showed, not at all like Philip's pattern.

Here is a jpg screen capture of the essentials of your pdf:
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: BobShaw on April 16, 2016, 03:04:32 am
I should add that my nozzle check always shows all eight patches in a single row across the narrow end of an 8.5x11" sheet of paper, just like what Dan showed, not at all like Philip's pattern.
8 in a row is using the print driver. The square pattern is using the console on the printer. I generally use the 8 in a row as the console is fiddly. Also you can get 4 to a piece of paper. Yes, cheap (:-)
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: PhilipWatkins on April 16, 2016, 03:17:08 am
Just to clarify both can be produced by the software driver (and that is how I was doing this one).  I've attached a screen shot of the nozzle check screen.

The Auto button produces the checker pattern, the Print button prints the 8 colours on a single line.

Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 16, 2016, 08:43:24 am
I have never used the "Auto" button as I want to see the nozzle check results and make my own decision as to whether a cleaning is needed.
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: howardm on April 16, 2016, 08:50:17 am
I have been biten by that.  the manual zebra lines would be fine but the checkerboard revealed problems.  Now I usually do auto.
Title: Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
Post by: Garnick on April 16, 2016, 09:32:01 am
8 in a row is using the print driver. The square pattern is using the console on the printer. I generally use the 8 in a row as the console is fiddly. Also you can get 4 to a piece of paper. Yes, cheap (:-)

Hi Bob,

You think that's cheap?  I do 6 nozzle checks per sheet on the 9900.  Did the same on the 4000 and 7600 printers I had.  I use standard US Letter size paper and use both ends and both sides for 4 checks.  I then trim off the checks on one end and use that end for two more checks.  Now that's cheap, but it works!  Not sure if you can do that with the smaller printers, possibly loading issues with the 8.5x9 sheet after trimming.  Either way we are both practicing conservation, so it's a good thing.  Unfortunately I cannot contribute to the issue Phillip is experiencing, but I would bet good money that he's likely on his way to a new printer.  Definitely unfortunate, but they don't last forever.  I just had a new print-head installed on the 9900($2250 CDN) and it's working beautifully again, green nozzle crapped out.  The printer is 6 years old but the tech said it's one of the cleanest ones he has seen.  After the initial growing pains and replacement parts when it was new(warranty) it has behaved very well for the past 4+ years, so I can't complain.  On his cell phone the tech showed me some shots of printers he had worked on.  I could not believe the conditions that some folks work in and obviously never do any meaningful maintenance  on their equipment.  They were deplorable, and even that word doesn't do them justice.  Hmmm...seem that I have once again been caught rambling on, so I'll get outta here for now.  I wish Phillip well and hope he arrives at a positive conclusion soon. 

Gary