Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: thierrylegros396 on April 10, 2016, 12:37:47 pm

Title: Bicycle inner tube big bulge!
Post by: thierrylegros396 on April 10, 2016, 12:37:47 pm
Bicycle inner tube big bulge!

It appears slowly after reasonable inflating.

So, don't use too old inner tubes  ;) ;) ;)

Have A Nice Day.

Thierry
Title: Re: Bicycle inner tube big bulge!
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 10, 2016, 01:56:15 pm
And don't try riding on an inner tube without a tire to hold it together!
 
I guess the tire is sort of a girdle for the tube.
Title: Re: Bicycle inner tube big bulge!
Post by: GrahamBy on April 10, 2016, 06:19:08 pm
I guess the tire is sort of a girdle for the tube.

Indeed it is, a tube can only withstand 1-2psi, a tyre typically runs 120psi or so.

That one is green, looks like a Michelin latex tube... they tend to be a little less uniform in construction than a butyl rubber type, which is probably the reason it bulges. The trade off is that they are supposed to provide less rolling resistance, but I'm a touch sceptical.

Title: Re: Bicycle inner tube big bulge!
Post by: francois on April 11, 2016, 03:08:05 am
Bicycle inner tube big bulge!

It appears slowly after reasonable inflating.

So, don't use too old inner tubes  ;) ;) ;)

Have A Nice Day.

Thierry

Battle of the Bulge - a Belgian thing, I guess?

Simple solution: go tubeless but with that you wouldn't have that nice shot!

Edit: typo correction…
Title: Re: Bicycle inner tube big bulge!
Post by: thierrylegros396 on April 12, 2016, 03:10:05 am
Indeed it is, a tube can only withstand 1-2psi, a tyre typically runs 120psi or so.

That one is green, looks like a Michelin latex tube... they tend to be a little less uniform in construction than a butyl rubber type, which is probably the reason it bulges. The trade off is that they are supposed to provide less rolling resistance, but I'm a touch sceptical.

It's an old Panaracer green Lite (about 20 years old), so it can explain the bulge.

The pressure was very low and I didn't experiment such a thing with butyl type.

But you are right that it's certainly an irregularity in the construction and that's why the bulge appears very slowly.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry
Title: Re: Bicycle inner tube big bulge!
Post by: francois on April 12, 2016, 04:55:06 am
It's an old Panaracer green Lite (about 20 years old), so it can explain the bulge.

The pressure was very low and I didn't experiment such a thing with butyl type.

But you are right that it's certainly an irregularity in the construction and that's why the bulge appears very slowly.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

The old Panaracer tubes and another brand that I can't remember the name did that. Now that I commented about going tubeless, just a couple of hours later yesterday, I burbed a tubeless tire and had to walk home ;-(
Title: Re: Bicycle inner tube big bulge!
Post by: GrahamBy on April 12, 2016, 05:00:33 am
The old Panaracer tubes and another brand that I can't remember the name did that. Now that I commented about going tubeless, just a couple of hours later yesterday, I burbed a tubeless tire and had to walk home ;-(

Lol... the weight savings of tubeless tyres are compensated by the tube you need to carry with you au cas où
Title: Re: Bicycle inner tube big bulge!
Post by: Rob C on April 14, 2016, 10:13:03 am
Lol... the weight savings of tubeless tyres are compensated by the tube you need to carry with you au cas où

Are we talking surgical accessories here? As in living in hope of random coups de foudre?

Rob