Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: philaitman on April 07, 2016, 08:35:56 am

Title: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: philaitman on April 07, 2016, 08:35:56 am
I've already decided the branch in the top right needs to go.

Yes another waterfall shot, which in my defense this is part of a bigger project which may someday be finished. :)
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: francois on April 07, 2016, 09:01:16 am
Superb! I like the high contrast B&W treatment and the composition.
Well done.
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 07, 2016, 09:06:21 am
Gorgeous!
Getting rid of that branch is the only thing I would do.
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: Bob_B on April 07, 2016, 09:06:37 am
Sublime! Very nice use of a long shutter to produce that sinewy effect on the falling water.
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: RSL on April 07, 2016, 09:11:17 am
Very nice. But yes, the branch has got to go.
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: philaitman on April 07, 2016, 10:36:13 am
Thank you all, I'm glad I was right about the branch. Hopefully I'll find some editing time this weekend to get it out of there :)
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: churly on April 07, 2016, 12:10:10 pm
I'm late to the game but - Very nicely done!
Chuck
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 07, 2016, 12:30:15 pm
Very nice.
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: philaitman on April 07, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
Thank you all.
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 07, 2016, 02:46:03 pm
Excellent, indeed. Where is it?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: philaitman on April 07, 2016, 03:20:50 pm
Excellent, indeed. Where is it?

Jeremy

Thank you Jeremy,
The waterfall is called Roughting Linn and is in north Northumberland in England only a short distance from the Scottish border. It's quite a hidden but beautiful little place.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Roughting+Linn/@55.5477196,-1.8760123,1299m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x48875419384b27ef:0x48875419161764ac

Linn is a Northumbrian term for a waterfall in the same way that Force is used in Cumbria
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: stamper on April 08, 2016, 04:16:25 am
Superb! I like the high contrast B&W treatment and the composition.
Well done.

I heartily concur.
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: MattBurt on April 12, 2016, 07:00:35 pm
Beautiful shot and I love the processing. I too wouldn't miss the branch if it were to go away.
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: BobDavid on April 12, 2016, 11:14:36 pm
Reminds me of a film set.
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: rogerxnz on April 13, 2016, 06:43:24 am
Great tones and effect.

Cloning would be one way to remove the branch but you might like to try cropping, which would also trim off some of the image on both sides and remove some of the possibly unnecessarily large, devoid of detail, black area at the foot of the image.
Roger
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: stamper on April 13, 2016, 06:52:50 am
I think the black area is needed as a lead in space for the eye, not that I am against cropping in principle.
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 13, 2016, 10:49:13 am
Cropping would ruin the balance. It needs all the black. But cloning out the branch would be easy and effective.
Title: Re: Into Darkness I Fall
Post by: philaitman on April 14, 2016, 06:33:37 am
Thanks for the comments
I'm always open for ideas hence my posting in the critique section :)
The branch has now gone and it makes the image better overall.

Thanks for the crop comment Roger. However I agree that the bottom area is needed for balance, I like to use white (or in this case black) space to give areas of space in the image and also for our imagination to have a place to wander. There are small area's of texture and light down there, It doesn't show to well on the jpeg, but does make a difference in the printed image.

Thank you all for your comments, I have this morning made a number of 11x11 prints of this and am extremely happy with the output. It's looking great. The critique and comments of talented individuals makes a difference to my confidence.