Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: PeterAit on April 03, 2016, 04:56:29 pm
-
I find my Benbo to be unusable on smooth surfaces such as a wood floor because the legs slide apart and it seems impossible to tighten the bolt enough to hold them in place. Apparently the feet need something they can grab onto to prevent this. Is this normal?
-
I remember seeing no-mark rubber feet in a few stores..... ...would that solve the problem ?
-
I find my Benbo to be unusable on smooth surfaces such as a wood floor because the legs slide apart and it seems impossible to tighten the bolt enough to hold them in place. Apparently the feet need something they can grab onto to prevent this. Is this normal?
Excuse me if I err, but didn't we already cover this bolted knees/legs concept in another, eventually acrimonious thread?
Rob C
-
Does this mean you frequently use the tripod without the legs being against the stops? I know there are times when it is necessary to set up that way, but for me it is usually on unlevel ground that is not slick enough to make the legs slide open. If you need the legs stiffer, tighten the leg joint bolts. If you can't tighten the bolt enough, then you have a thread problem. If it becomes a regular problem, replace the bolt and use the semi permanent loctite thread locking solution.
-
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Complete-Tripods-with-Heads/ci/2635/N/4052722025
-
Does this mean you frequently use the tripod without the legs being against the stops? I know there are times when it is necessary to set up that way, but for me it is usually on unlevel ground that is not slick enough to make the legs slide open. If you need the legs stiffer, tighten the leg joint bolts. If you can't tighten the bolt enough, then you have a thread problem. If it becomes a regular problem, replace the bolt and use the semi permanent loctite thread locking solution.
The Benbo does not work that way - there are no stops for the legs. The only thing that keeps the legs in place is a single large bolt at the nexus of the legs and the friction between the feet and the ground. It works fine outdoors and on carpets, but the slick wood floors seem to defeat it. It's new so I cannot believe the bolt is stripped.
-
Can you post a link to this tripod on B&H or some site like that? I'm just curious now.
-
Can you post a link to this tripod on B&H or some site like that? I'm just curious now.
Just Google it and you'll get a mess of links.
I find the tripod particularly flexible for odd camera positions, such as 6 inches off the ground or close to a cliff wall. It can be used for more usual tripod tasks (landscapes, etc) but I prefer a traditional tripod for those things.
-
I swear at/by the French ones: Gitzo. Unfortunately, mine has outgrown my ability to carry it very far.
I know it's bit off topìc, in the stricter sense, but my first pro tripod was a, literally, beautiful thing made by Rowi. It travelled to many places, but met its broken-legged end in the cargo hold of a BEA flight to Bahamas. Naturally, I had brought along a 500 mirror lens with great intentions... but I did, forcibly, realise the potential - even at that focal length and 64 ASA - of the duopod system. Really; better than any monopod, and as long as you have the horizon right, up or down tilting is simple to control with eye-at-camera.
Rob C
-
I find my Benbo to be unusable on smooth surfaces such as a wood floor because the legs slide apart and it seems impossible to tighten the bolt enough to hold them in place. Apparently the feet need something they can grab onto to prevent this. Is this normal?
That's my experience too.
You can lock the legs up enough to keep them rigid, but the whole assembly tends to skate around. Some non-slip matting ought to help.
A fantastic tripod to use on rough ground and getting into odd positions, if heavy to carry far, but pretty hopeless for 'studio' type situations.