Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Bob Peters on April 02, 2016, 11:56:49 pm

Title: Nikon D700, D750 D800 Lens ID missing
Post by: Bob Peters on April 02, 2016, 11:56:49 pm
I ran into a strange problem today while "testing" a refurbished Nikon D750.

The NEF file contains the proper lens ID (85mm/1.8 or 28mm/1.8 of 24-70mm,,,etc) but all that appears in Lightroom CC 2015.5 is the focal length at the time the shot was taken.  The Lens" entry does not even appear in the Library Metadata.  If I display the Metadata on the camera LDCD screen the Lens ID information is present.

Also, when I open the NEF files in the Mac OSX Preview application the Lens ID information is present.  The Lens ID is also present if I open an existing Catalog containg D700 or D800 NEF files.

The above problem is present even when I don't choose a special prefix (_D7C or _D8C, etc.).

Another oditiy is if I import Nikon 1 V2 or V3 files into the new catalog the Lens ID information is present.

I think I have found a bug in the Import software.  Have any of you experienced this problem?
Title: Re: Nikon D700, D750 D800 Lens ID missing
Post by: fdisilvestro on April 03, 2016, 06:27:33 am
It looks like a bug indeed and it apparently happens only with Nikon DSLRs. I tested with files from Nikon D300, D800, Canon 70D and Sony A7S with LR 5.7 and LR CC2015.5 (6.5).

The lens information does not show in the metadata for the Nikons in LR CC 2015.5. All other combinations work fine.

A little more:

There are 3 fields in the exif data that define the lens:
- LensInfo
- Lens
- LensID

The data missing for the Nikons is "Lens" which is the field that appears in the metadata section.

LensID is used to determine the optical correction file, so that works even if the metadata is not present.

I'll write Adobe about this issue because in addition to correct the bug, they should provide a way to update the catalog to the affected users.
Title: Re: Nikon D700, D750 D800 Lens ID missing
Post by: john beardsworth on April 03, 2016, 06:59:26 am
This is a known bug in 6.5. It only affects what's shown in Library's filter and in the metadata panel. There's no effect on the image appearance and Lens Profiles are correctly applied in Develop.

When it's fixed, we will simply have to find the images using Library Filter, and run first a Metadata > Save Metadata and then a Metadata > Read Metadata.

Title: Re: Nikon D700, D750 D800 Lens ID missing
Post by: Bob Peters on April 03, 2016, 07:31:31 am
It looks like a bug indeed and it apparently happens only with Nikon DSLRs. I tested with files from Nikon D300, D800, Canon 70D and Sony A7S with LR 5.7 and LR CC2015.5 (6.5).

The lens information does not show in the metadata for the Nikons in LR CC 2015.5. All other combinations work fine.

A little more:

There are 3 fields in the exif data that define the lens:
- LensInfo
- Lens
- LensID

The data missing for the Nikons is "Lens" which is the field that appears in the metadata section.

LensID is used to determine the optical correction file, so that works even if the metadata is not present.

I'll write Adobe about this issue because in addition to correct the bug, they should provide a way to update the catalog to the affected users.

Thank you for taking the time to verify what I found.

I should have simply said the "Lens" field is missing in Lightroom.  It is present in the File Info section of Photoshop CC.
Title: Re: Nikon D700, D750 D800 Lens ID missing
Post by: Bob Peters on April 03, 2016, 07:35:57 am
This is a known bug in 6.5. It only affects what's shown in Library's filter and in the metadata panel. There's no effect on the image appearance and Lens Profiles are correctly applied in Develop.

When it's fixed, we will simply have to find the images using Library Filter, and run first a Metadata > Save Metadata and then a Metadata > Read Metadata.

It is unfortnate that Adobe won't post a list of known bugs so we don't waste time trying to understand a problem.

I have two questions:
(1)  How long has this been a known bug?
(2)  Have you had any indication when the bug will be fixed?
Title: Re: Nikon D700, D750 D800 Lens ID missing
Post by: fdisilvestro on April 03, 2016, 07:45:37 am
This is a known bug in 6.5. It only affects what's shown in Library's filter and in the metadata panel. There's no effect on the image appearance and Lens Profiles are correctly applied in Develop.

When it's fixed, we will simply have to find the images using Library Filter, and run first a Metadata > Save Metadata and then a Metadata > Read Metadata.

Great! That is good to know and yes, the method suggested should work.
Title: Re: Nikon D700, D750 D800 Lens ID missing
Post by: john beardsworth on April 03, 2016, 08:02:20 am
Great! That is good to know and yes, the method suggested should work.

The key is to educate users that they must first do the Save Metadata step.
Title: Re: Nikon D700, D750 D800 Lens ID missing
Post by: Jeff_Marcus on May 23, 2016, 01:27:02 pm
Thanks, John.  This fixed my side of the issue now that LR fixed their side.