Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: Abdulrahman Aljabri on April 01, 2016, 11:16:31 am

Title: Do I really need a screen with internal calibration?
Post by: Abdulrahman Aljabri on April 01, 2016, 11:16:31 am
I have been using the nec 2690wuxi for many years and it's been a great screen. Recently it started showing signs of age and I have to replace it. I was wondering do I really need to get another screen with internal calibration? I remember when I used to calibrate the screen it would not look much different. It seemed always consistent. Can I get away with a high end screen with IPS and led panel instead of a professional screen?

The replacement will be otherwise priccccccey.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1006644-REG/nec_pa272w_bk_sv_multisync_27_gb_r_lcd_display_spectraview.html
Title: Re: Do I really need a screen with internal calibration?
Post by: Mark D Segal on April 01, 2016, 11:50:57 am
Hi Abdul,

As you would probably know, the several most important aspects of the display that would be of interest to your standard of work, which is high (I downloaded your PDF) are the display resolution, display gamut (these days a high end professional would want a display approaching the Adobe RGB size of gamut especially in relation to inkjet printing), and the ability to both calibrate and profile the display to suit your requirements. The NEC you linked is somewhat pricey, but it also responds very well to all these requirements, and it is not the priciest having these characteristics. It also comes equipped with the calibration/profiling hardware and software custom-designed for it. I have been using its predecessor, the PA 271 for years now, and it has so far proven to be faithful, durable and reliable. I have no relation whatsoever with NEC, so I'm not plugging it out of commercial interest, but only to suggest that from personal experience it's a great product and for a professional photographer a reasonable long-term investment. I believe a high quality, properly calibrated and profiled display pays its way in saved time and materials rather quickly.
Title: Re: Do I really need a screen with internal calibration?
Post by: BradSmith on April 01, 2016, 05:36:44 pm
Read the review article here on Lula a couple months ago about the new BenQ 27" high quality monitor.  Reading the review here, and another by Keith Cooper at NorthLights web site show it to be a very fine monitor that appears to offer all that the NEC offers IF you also purchase the calibration device and software.  Even doing that, it is considerably cheaper than the comparable NEC, at least in the USA. 

I have one of the NEC's (a 7 year old wuX2690 with the spectraview calibration device and software) and have been very happy with it.  But it has developed a problem in the form of a darker 1/2" wide  band that runs across the screen.  I'll be replacing it soon and will probably buy the BenQ and calibration tools.

Brad
https://luminous-landscape.com/benq-sw2700pt-27-inch-adobe-rgb-monitor-review/
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/monitor/benq-sw2700.html
Title: Re: Do I really need a screen with internal calibration?
Post by: Lundberg02 on April 01, 2016, 06:40:15 pm
Your work is impressive.