Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: uintaangler on March 30, 2016, 10:08:02 pm

Title: Would this scare you away from this used Epson 7900
Post by: uintaangler on March 30, 2016, 10:08:02 pm
"Epson Stylus Pro 7900 24" printer
Hardly got used in home office of artist. Has been flushed of ink and is covered and stored until sold."

Thanks,
Bob
Title: Re: Would this scare you away from this used Epson 7900
Post by: Ken Doo on March 30, 2016, 10:14:44 pm
I'd ask if it were flushed and left empty----or filled with something like Piezoflush....
Title: Re: Would this scare you away from this used Epson 7900
Post by: Mark D Segal on March 31, 2016, 08:01:53 am
If it's out of warranty or the warranty can't be transferred to a new owner and if it's being sold a price expected for a functional printer, before buying it I would require the seller to demonstrate that it is in proper working condition in all respects and that it can be transported safely to the new owner. However, if it's being sold at a giveaway price and the transportation would be cheap, low risk, so could be worthwhile.
Title: Re: Would this scare you away from this used Epson 7900
Post by: mstevensphoto on April 01, 2016, 02:03:00 pm
frankly given the ever falling cost of new printers, the fact that they come with full ink sets and warranty I don't see myself ever buying or wanting to buy a used printer. of the many people selling printers that I've personally encountered it's always because they had or suspect they are about to have a problem and want to offload it before it's totally worthless.
Title: Re: Would this scare you away from this used Epson 7900
Post by: Del on April 01, 2016, 10:33:41 pm
Guess I'm more of a half full kind of guy.  I just sold my 24" printer because I was moving across country.  Had the new owner come over and trained him in its use and gave him as much in ink/paper as I charged him for the printer.  I think we are both winners in the deal.  I'll buy a new one as soon as I figure out if I want to go the 9 or 11 ink route.

Basically, I'd go see the person, talk to them and get a sense for the honesty level, make a judgement (calculated risk) and see how it goes. It clearly will have to be a good deal given its not currently operational.

Good luck, I hope it works out well for all parties.
Title: Re: Would this scare you away from this used Epson 7900
Post by: deanwork on April 01, 2016, 10:40:41 pm
What I would do is buy some inexpensive refillable carts, put some of the Cone flush fluid in it and do an initial fill and then print out a test pattern.  That is easy as pie. That will tell you what you want to know and also actually put the printer in a  sellable condition. If he refuses to do that, they are probably hiding something. It could be a nice deal or it could be a total scam. You have no way of knowing at this point.

j



Guess I'm more of a half full kind of guy.  I just sold my 24" printer because I was moving across country.  Had the new owner come over and trained him in its use and gave him as much in ink/paper as I charged him for the printer.  I think we are both winners in the deal.  I'll buy a new one as soon as I figure out if I want to go the 9 or 11 ink route.

Basically, I'd go see the person, talk to them and get a sense for the honesty level, make a judgement (calculated risk) and see how it goes. It clearly will have to be a good deal given its not currently operational.

Good luck, I hope it works out well for all parties.