Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: MattBurt on March 30, 2016, 06:12:48 pm

Title: Evening calm
Post by: MattBurt on March 30, 2016, 06:12:48 pm
I went out hoping some light would break through around sunset between snow squalls but it never came together.
So I found this nice reflection of our nearby Tenderfoot Mountain in a ranch irrigation pond off the creek I frequent. The light was gray and soft which made me lean toward a monochrome image since there wasn't much visible color anyway.

(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1478/25853711900_5594a9b391_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/FoB2Ps)IMGP2519-Edit (https://flic.kr/p/FoB2Ps) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Evening calm
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 31, 2016, 04:29:14 am
Good image, calm and full of detail.
Title: Re: Evening calm
Post by: Colorado David on March 31, 2016, 10:17:18 am
I have tried for a long time to get reflection images in RMNP.  You were very fortunate.  You have to have high pressure directly overhead to get such calm water.
Title: Re: Evening calm
Post by: MattBurt on March 31, 2016, 12:38:32 pm
Good image, calm and full of detail.

Thanks!

I have tried for a long time to get reflection images in RMNP.  You were very fortunate.  You have to have high pressure directly overhead to get such calm water.

Thanks and yes, it was good fortune, especially since it was snowing and windy just before and just after this moment!
Title: Re: Evening calm
Post by: sdwilsonsct on April 01, 2016, 12:29:55 pm
Good job on bringing out the structure of the hillside. A composition without foreground might enhance this.
Title: Re: Evening calm
Post by: MattBurt on April 01, 2016, 12:31:01 pm
Thanks, but I'm a big foreground fan. Love my foregrounds! :)
Title: Re: Evening calm
Post by: stamper on April 02, 2016, 04:31:52 am
Very nice and I vote for the foreground to remain! The processing is spot on.
Title: Re: Evening calm
Post by: francois on April 02, 2016, 06:52:25 am
Yes, keep the foreground… It breaks the usual reflection symmetry.
Title: Re: Evening calm
Post by: MattBurt on April 02, 2016, 11:15:28 am
If I could change anything I'd have a little more snow on that plant in the front left. Thanks again for all the comments!
Title: Re: Evening calm
Post by: luxborealis on April 02, 2016, 11:22:59 am
Beautiful photograph, Matt. Foreground is necessary to give the scene context. However, I would clone out the tallish plant that sticks up into the lake. I'm a nature-geek and would normally not want to do something like that, but when I look at this photograph as a piece of art, I think it should go. But that's me.