Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: [email protected] on March 29, 2016, 05:00:03 am

Title: EPSON 9900 Printhead problem!
Post by: [email protected] on March 29, 2016, 05:00:03 am
Hi all
I would like to ask you if there is anyone else that was obliged to change 6 printing heads  in 6 years  of printing(!!!).
The printer is the Epson 9900 which is used in good enough conditions. The last head was "burnt" in 3 months only.
I start to believe that the problem is not the Printheads themselves... Any thoughts ?
Title: Re: EPSON 9900 Printhead problem!
Post by: iCanvas on March 29, 2016, 11:48:12 am
Is your 9900 printing every day or just occasionally? Of course, your problem doesn't sound natural. Hope you were under warranty for at least the first three years. I am considering a P10000 and am praying to the Supreme Being to send me one that I won't have problems with. LOL!

Gar
Title: Re: EPSON 9900 Printhead problem!
Post by: Peter McLennan on March 29, 2016, 12:04:00 pm
My Epson 4800 and the 9800 share the same print head.  Both of mine failed, but after eight years of hobbyist use.  Although the 9900 head is different, I'd expect similar head life.  No data, just speculation.
Title: Re: EPSON 9900 Printhead problem!
Post by: Wayne Fox on March 29, 2016, 01:50:34 pm
Hi all
I would like to ask you if there is anyone else that was obliged to change 6 printing heads  in 6 years  of printing(!!!).
The printer is the Epson 9900 which is used in good enough conditions. The last head was "burnt" in 3 months only.
I start to believe that the problem is not the Printheads themselves... Any thoughts ?
very strange, never heard of this sort of failure rate.  I would suspect something else is contributing, but have no clue as to what.  It could be environmental, it could be excessive head strikes from media type (no idea what you are printing), I suppose it could be faulty circuitry or bad power, or it could be something you are doing as a user.  (for example if you clean the head with windex on occasion, you will most likely burn out the head.  I’ve seen enough anecdotal evidence of this). 
Title: Re: EPSON 9900 Printhead problem!
Post by: [email protected] on March 30, 2016, 04:43:49 am
very strange, never heard of this sort of failure rate.  I would suspect something else is contributing, but have no clue as to what.  It could be environmental, it could be excessive head strikes from media type (no idea what you are printing), I suppose it could be faulty circuitry or bad power, or it could be something you are doing as a user.  (for example if you clean the head with windex on occasion, you will most likely burn out the head.  I’ve seen enough anecdotal evidence of this).
Temperature in the room is 20-26 C, Humidity 45- 65 %, no much dust, no strikes (I am very careful with that because I use Fineart Photo papers of Hahnemuehle). Never "Windex" or similar , only the necessary cleanings,very few power cleanings...I have changed 3 times the pump. The printer prints not every day but regularly with some 2-4 days intervals.I have to say that I don't use a UPS for the printer but I haven't  noticed  something strange with other machines.
Title: Re: EPSON 9900 Printhead problem!
Post by: dgberg on March 30, 2016, 09:42:40 am
Is it Epson service that is changing out the heads?
Is it possible they are just throwing parts on (Printheads to be specific.)and the problem all along is something else?
I am also at a loss..
Title: Re: EPSON 9900 Printhead problem!
Post by: langier on March 30, 2016, 10:26:28 am
I'm the second owner of an early 9900. Just had it cleaned and it's working better than when I purchased it. As far as I know, it's the original head. Perhaps this is an issue of "dirty" power? Is your mains stable and clean? Do you have consistent power? Maybe a UPS is needed to condition your power.
Title: Re: EPSON 9900 Printhead problem!
Post by: [email protected] on March 30, 2016, 11:31:35 am
Is it Epson service that is changing out the heads?
Is it possible they are just throwing parts on (Printheads to be specific.)and the problem all along is something else?
I am also at a loss..
Yes ,Epson has make the replacements. I am afraid that the problem is something else.
Title: Re: EPSON 9900 Printhead problem!
Post by: [email protected] on March 30, 2016, 11:34:37 am
I'm the second owner of an early 9900. Just had it cleaned and it's working better than when I purchased it. As far as I know, it's the original head. Perhaps this is an issue of "dirty" power? Is your mains stable and clean? Do you have consistent power? Maybe a UPS is needed to condition your power.
I don't suspect  an electricity problem but I will add a UPS anyway...