Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on March 29, 2016, 12:13:34 am

Title: Skimmer
Post by: Chris Calohan on March 29, 2016, 12:13:34 am
This is a common position for Snowy Egrets as they skim a watercourse seeking a meal. This one skimmed a good 35 to 40 feet in this same position.
Title: Re: Skimmer
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 29, 2016, 09:48:00 am
What a wild pose.

When I saw the title, "Skimmer," I was expecting to see a Black Skimmer, not a white Great Egret. But really nice shot.
Title: Re: Skimmer
Post by: maddogmurph on March 29, 2016, 05:18:44 pm
Yoga?
Title: Re: Skimmer
Post by: Jens Peermann on March 29, 2016, 08:03:15 pm
Like Eric, I also expected to see a Black Skimmer at work. I've never see an egret doing the same. Usually they fish like this:

(http://peermann.com/NSN/JPP-000156_NSN.jpg)
Title: Re: Skimmer
Post by: syncrasy on March 29, 2016, 09:59:34 pm
Great shot! (By the way, that's a Snowy Egret (https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Snowy_Egret/id). Black bill, yellow feet.)
Title: Re: Skimmer
Post by: Chris Calohan on March 29, 2016, 11:49:58 pm
You're right and even in my photo catalog it is listed as a Snowy...not sure where the Great came from. Brain fart, I guess.
Title: Re: Skimmer
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 30, 2016, 08:47:29 am
Well, it's still a "great" image.
Title: Re: Skimmer
Post by: brandtb on March 30, 2016, 09:14:36 am
Great image Chris