Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Jens Peermann on March 28, 2016, 01:01:50 am

Title: Industrialized Tree
Post by: Jens Peermann on March 28, 2016, 01:01:50 am
This morning at dawn in the harbor area of Stockton, CA. Low contrast and the only bright areas are reflections of the sunrise in the window.

A7II, 100/2 ZE @ f/8

(http://peermann.com/NSN/JPP-005793_C1_NSN.jpg)
Title: Re: Industrialized Tree
Post by: RMW on March 28, 2016, 11:51:55 am
Thanks Jens.
Very nice.
Surviving almost anything.
Richard
Title: Re: Industrialized Tree
Post by: polaris-14 on March 28, 2016, 11:56:58 am
I did not notice the window had you not told us about that in the post. I think it's a very clever concept. I am wondering if you have a more vertical composition without the graffiti on the left. I thought it kinda competes with the window. The (pine?) tree makes a really nice frame on the window.
Title: Re: Industrialized Tree
Post by: MattBurt on March 28, 2016, 12:05:08 pm
Interesting shot but I agree about the graffiti. A square crop might work well. Love the light on the glass.
Title: Re: Industrialized Tree
Post by: maddogmurph on March 28, 2016, 05:23:56 pm
This could be a pretty interesting self portrait with your reflection in the broken window. (if it was there)
Title: Re: Industrialized Tree
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 28, 2016, 07:46:43 pm
Interesting shot but I agree about the graffiti. A square crop might work well. Love the light on the glass.

+1
Title: Re: Industrialized Tree
Post by: Jens Peermann on March 28, 2016, 09:06:03 pm
Thanks to all of you for commenting.

During the shoot I was on the fence about the graffiti, thinking about the square crop solution just like some of you did. But ultimately I decided against it to keep the image authentic looking. Graffiti on decaying industrial buildings have become so common that an image of such property without them loses credibility.

However, the rainwater pipe between the window simply doesn't belong. Not only does it attract attention, it divides the image and thus brings more attention to the graffiti than it should get. So I simply removed that thing, straightened the image and cropped the right side off a bit to move the window out of the smack center position. Now the tree/window combo gets the attention it deserves and the graffiti is no longer a distraction.

(http://peermann.com/NSN/JPP-005793_C1_NSN-2.jpg)
Title: Re: Industrialized Tree
Post by: Jens Peermann on March 28, 2016, 09:08:21 pm
This could be a pretty interesting self portrait with your reflection in the broken window. (if it was there)

That window actually does show my portrait. But since you've never seen me there's no way for you to know. An easy mistake. ;D
Title: Re: Industrialized Tree
Post by: Jens Peermann on March 28, 2016, 09:10:29 pm
The (pine?) tree makes a really nice frame on the window.

It has scaled leaves, so it must be a juniper. I just have no idea what exact species.
Title: Re: Industrialized Tree
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 28, 2016, 09:11:04 pm
Much better.
Title: Re: Industrialized Tree
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 28, 2016, 11:46:59 pm
Much better.
+1.
Title: Re: Industrialized Tree
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 29, 2016, 03:40:49 am
Much better.

Better, certainly, but now there's a rather large and uninteresting gap between the window and the graffiti, which makes the image unbalanced. Since you're editing the scene so heavily by removing the drainpipe (and I don't say that with any disapproval), why not move the graffiti a bit to the right?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Industrialized Tree
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 29, 2016, 05:31:16 am
Interesting image, with lots of potential for alternative takes.