Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: hdomke on March 27, 2016, 08:46:42 am
-
Is there a way to get the latest version of Lightroom to directly import pictures taken with an iPhone 6 running on the latest iOS?
I would like to be able to take snapshots with my iPhone and then when I connect with a cable to my Mac laptop I'd like to import those pictures directly into Lightroom.
If thats not possible is there a workaround?
Thanks!
Henry
-
The method I use is semi automated and does not require attaching via cable. Also, should work Windows or Macs.
I use Dropbox to automatically upload images (photos or screen captures) from both my iPhone and iPad. It will automatically rename images to date-time, which will avoid the problem of duplicate name and sort order.
In LR, I use Jeffrey Friedl's "Folder Watch" to import....moving to a differently named physical location on the LR system.
That is it. Once uploaded to DB, you can keep images on idevice or delete...you still have it saved on LR.
-
How do you use Dropbox to automatically upload images from your iPhone?
I have it installed but I don't know what steps you would use to gather pictures taken with the iPhone.
Thanks,
Henry
-
Google is your friend....
https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/289
-
the latest version of Lightroom
Is this the CC subscription? If so, just get the Lightroom Mobile app on your phone, open it after taking new photos, and they will be automatically added to your Lightroom catalogue.
-
WHen I attach mt iPhone 5 to my Windows 10 computer via USB cable, LRs import dialog identifies the phone as a source, and I can import in the usual way
-
Yes. One has to use Lightroom mobile as mentioned above In the settings select auto add photos.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Is this the CC subscription? If so, just get the Lightroom Mobile app on your phone, open it after taking new photos, and they will be automatically added to your Lightroom catalogue.
I have not tried this since it first came out, so it could have changed....or my memory may be faulty...??
As I remember, this worked until you deleted the image from the iDevice....then it also deleted from LR.
Also, it did not help with duplicate names from multiple iDevices or the roll of the 4 digit number
-
I have not tried this since it first came out, so it could have changed....or my memory may be faulty...??
As I remember, this worked until you deleted the image from the iDevice....then it also deleted from LR.
No, it's never done this. Once you've added the photo or video from camera roll, Lr has its own completely-independent copy of the file.
Also, it did not help with duplicate names from multiple iDevices or the roll of the 4 digit number
There was a problem with the same device showing as multiple drives in Lightroom, but now you choose the folder where it will store new mobile photos/videos. I've set it to the same date-based folders where I import DSLR images. The filenames are 24 characters to avoid duplication.
John
-
No, it's never done this. Once you've added the photo or video from camera roll, Lr has its own completely-independent copy of the file.
I remember now. It wasn't that you could not erase from the iDevice photo library. Th problem was that it would always be in the LR mobile library. Deleting it from there would delete it, of course, in main library. It is not a "fault", however, I did not want my lifetime of iDevice images in LR mobile.
There was a problem with the same device showing as multiple drives in Lightroom, but now you choose the folder where it will store new mobile photos/videos. I've set it to the same date-based folders where I import DSLR images. The filenames are 24 characters to avoid duplication.
How are the 24 character names determined? Do you have ability to rename as when importing? Also, ca folders be defined as on import, such as 'iPhone/YYYY/MM'?
-
How are the 24 character names determined?
I think it's an internal iPhone file name, so unintelligible to humans. I'm only guessing 24 - life's too short to count them ;)
Do you have ability to rename as when importing?
They appear in your catalogue with the full 24 characters. I just rename them later.
Also, ca folders be defined as on import, such as 'iPhone/YYYY/MM'?
This is done quite well IMO. The choices are the same as the "date format" box in the regular import dialog box, so YYYYMMDD etc. I have both my phone and DSLR photos going into the same YYYYMMDD folders, but you can have different settings for regular import and for syncing. If you can set up your "iPhone...' in the Import dialog, you should be able to set it up in the mobile preference.
These folders also sync any images/video you may have created using other Adobe iOS apps (eg Photoshop Mix or Fix) and chose Save to Lightroom, or images/video which you have uploaded on another computer to your Lightroom on the Web page (lightroom.adobe.com). So today I exported a short movie from my laptop and dropped it into my "Current Work" collection in my web browser. When I get home it'll automatically appear in my main catalogue in the 20160328 folder.
-
John, did you have an answer to this?
It wasn't that you could not erase from the iDevice photo library. Th problem was that it would always be in the LR mobile library. Deleting it from there would delete it, of course, in main library. It is not a "fault", however, I did not want my lifetime of iDevice images in LR mobile.
-
John, did you have an answer to this?
Oops. That's what happens when one signs on with new system
-
Oops. That's what happens when one signs on with new system
Exactly. When you first enable Auto Add from Camera Roll, everything is imported. If you weren't sure whether you had already manually imported them all, you can see this as a safeguard. If you are sure, you just delete the new copies that Lightroom made.