Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: RMW on March 24, 2016, 12:46:40 pm

Title: Back Water in the Blind River
Post by: RMW on March 24, 2016, 12:46:40 pm
Hi All,
Low water in the late afternoon. And I could see the bottom.
Hope you enjoy.
Richard


RichardWallerPhotos.com
Title: Re: Back Water in the Blind River
Post by: luxborealis on March 25, 2016, 03:38:16 pm
Hmmmmm - lots going on. It seems sharp, yet unfocussed.
Title: Re: Back Water in the Blind River
Post by: RMW on March 25, 2016, 10:11:57 pm
Hi Terry,

Thanks for checking this one out. Wasn't sure if it was worth posting or not. But I was hoping for feedback and so here it is.

About your interesting comment: I was attempting to show the hard and solid cypress knees in contrast to the shallow transparent water with it's refections. Do you find the knees and bank over sharpened ? Is the foto lacking a necessary focal point or is it just out of focus? I'm also wondering if you find the lightest areas distracting and perhaps looking somewhat blown out ?
The sight of the shallow water revealing the bottom with it's rich colors was something to behold. I'm hoping to do it justice.
Thank you again.
Richard
Title: Re: Back Water in the Blind River
Post by: Jens Peermann on March 27, 2016, 10:16:35 pm
Wonderful mysterious chaos. A pleasure to look at.
Title: Re: Back Water in the Blind River
Post by: RMW on March 29, 2016, 08:24:16 pm
Thanks Jens for your kind words.
And glad you like it.
Richard
Title: Re: Back Water in the Blind River
Post by: maddogmurph on March 30, 2016, 01:46:18 am
This doesn't do it for me Richard. I understand your intent. As I shoot for this intent (and fail) pretty regularly. I'll post a reflection of mine that I'm on the fence about myself, and let you critique it. The reason this one doesn't compel me is that the color scheme is murky, when contrasted with the bright reflection, which is quite the opposite of murky. Also unlike some of the fantastic photos on your page, I feel as if I'm lacking a clear subject.
Title: Re: Back Water in the Blind River
Post by: RMW on March 30, 2016, 11:02:23 am
Hello Maddogmurph,
Thank you for considering this foto so closely. Your candor is very much appreciated, as is LuLa and the chance to discuss our work with equally committed photographers.
I, too, am sitting on the fence about this one. Sometimes it looks good to me; other times it looks nowhere near good. (Oh for subjectivity and it's slippery behavior.)
As you so well say, the murky color scheme and the bright reflection are problematic. I found this image a year ago with my Sigma DP2 Quattro and promptly blew out the highlights. The most recent Sigma editor helped me recover some of them, but perhaps I didn't get enough ?
Looking forward to seeing more of your work- especially a refection one.
Richard
PS- Thanks for the kind words about the fotos on my website.
Title: Re: Back Water in the Blind River
Post by: stamper on March 31, 2016, 05:54:08 am
A kind of image that is capable of meaning more the more you see it. A slow burner? It ain't going to win any prizes but worth looking at more than once.
Title: Re: Back Water in the Blind River
Post by: RMW on March 31, 2016, 09:35:16 am
Thank you Stamper.
Appreciate your ecumenical take on this image.
Sometimes fotos of mine that don't succeed are the most intriguing.
Richard