Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: keithcooper on March 23, 2016, 10:11:51 am
-
I had a SureColor P7000 here from Epson for a while and have written up some notes about using it with a range of media.
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/epson_sc_p7000_review.html
Hope it's of interest.
A very nice printer to use that I'd have happily kept for my print work ;-)
Here's me, whilst working out how to get borderless prints...
-
Thanks, Keith!
Very nice review.
The optional built-in spectro is a feature I miss from my late HP Z3100.
It was curious that the printer has "high speed USB 2.0" and no wi-fi. In 2016 does anyone actually think of USB 2.0 as "high speed"? Perhaps it just means that Epson thinks everyone will be running an ethernet cable to it.
-
In reality, USB 2.0 *is* high speed relative to the printer carriage movement so it doesn't really matter. 3.0 would be pretty much a waste of time and $$ (even though it's pennies now) although there might be issue w/ cable length and signal integrity. And WiFi is not something I'd miss on a printer in this class.
-
Thanks, Keith!
Very nice review.
The optional built-in spectro is a feature I miss from my late HP Z3100.
It was curious that the printer has "high speed USB 2.0" and no wi-fi. In 2016 does anyone actually think of USB 2.0 as "high speed"? Perhaps it just means that Epson thinks everyone will be running an ethernet cable to it.
Thanks - I tried to pitch it at people just thinking of larger printers as much as those with lots of experience.
I did wonder about USB 3, but once enough data is there to start printing, USB2 is more than enough to keep up, especially if it's spooling to the internal disk.
I have to admit that wireless is just never something I'd consider for a printer like this - guess I've worked with IT too long ;-)
The SpectroProofer unit is aimed at a very different market. For example... When I make profiles I like to leave the prints overnight before measuring - not so easy to do when the target is on a loaded roll, or if you wanted to profile several papers at the same time, or just have sheet media.
-
The HP Z allowed me to print targets (cut on the printer from a roll or sheets), let them dry an hour, overnight or for a day, then put them back in the printer to create a profile. It seems like a serious shortcoming if this capability isn't available on this printer.
I too spent 20+ years in IT after almost 20 years in hardware/mfg engineering. At some point in time you get tired of running ethernet cable everywhere unless you're on a raised floor. In my home I find 802.11ac wi-fi a boon even for printing. My Epson SC P800 has wi-fi and it simplifies things for me. Yes, USB 2.0 is sufficient but its now ancient technology (20 years old) and not many other devices in 2016 come with USB 2.0.
-
>> The HP Z allowed me to print targets (cut on the printer from a roll or sheets), let them dry an hour, overnight or for a day, then put them back in the printer to create a profile. It seems like a serious shortcoming if this capability isn't available on this printer.
Different application I'm afraid - It may well support more complex operation, but you need software (like some RIPs that support it) - not a replacement for external reading, for the types of profiling I'm likely to do.
If only HP hadn't 'left' the large format market ;-) - my last review was for the z3200
>> I too spent 20+ years in IT after almost 20 years in hardware/mfg engineering. At some point in time you get tired of running ethernet cable everywhere unless you're on a raised floor.
Ah, the door behind the printer is the cupboard under the stairs where the phone exchange, routers and gigabit switches live... a side benefit from when the kitchen was burnt out a few years ago.
-
Any clogging issues? Probably not too relevant for a large-scale production environment, but very relevant for an individual photographer or low-volume user.
I'm very interested in what comes out of the longevity testing for the new HDX inks, as well as the new Canon ones.
-
Any clogging issues? Probably not too relevant for a large-scale production environment, but very relevant for an individual photographer or low-volume user.
Only the examples mentioned in the review...
-
Clogging issues are relevant in production. So far the 7000 and the 9000 have not let me down.
-
Keith and Jan,
Do you have to do a cleaning before each printing cycle? Let's say you do a printing in the morning, do you need to clean the head if you do a printing in the afternoon? In the afternoon would you feel confident to print without doing a nozzle check? I have had my 9900 for 6 years and don't have that confidence. I need to do a nozzle check if the printer has been unused for even a couple of hours.
Gar
-
Keith and Jan,
Do you have to do a cleaning before each printing cycle? Let's say you do a printing in the morning, do you need to clean the head if you do a printing in the afternoon? In the afternoon would you feel confident to print without doing a nozzle check? I have had my 9900 for 6 years and don't have that confidence. I need to do a nozzle check if the printer has been unused for even a couple of hours.
Gar
During the time I had it here, I did a nozzle check each morning - all passed 100% OK
The only nozzle checks that failed were the ones after a black ink swap.
I only had the printer here for a few weeks though, so would not want to claim any definitive results.
The printer is one of Epson UK's demo machines, so gets shifted round a lot - I saw it again at 'The Photography Show' at the NEC yesterday, churning out demo prints (I recognised a slight inky smudge I'd left on the top panel)