Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: polaris-14 on March 23, 2016, 12:34:49 am

Title: Solitary
Post by: polaris-14 on March 23, 2016, 12:34:49 am
From a recent trip to Death Valley NP: Solitary. One thing that I really love about this place is the solitude that it gives me whenever I am there. It feels good to leave behind the so-called "connections" behind and just be present at the moment.

(http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000clSl9RwSgqY/s/650/I0000clSl9RwSgqY.jpg) (http://adhika.photoshelter.com/image/I0000clSl9RwSgqY)
Title: Re: Solitary
Post by: sdwilsonsct on March 23, 2016, 02:11:43 am
I like the concept. The picture might be a bit stronger if the object was more readily identifiable.
Title: Re: Solitary
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 23, 2016, 06:18:45 am
I think the object is distracting, there is potential for a good pattern study.
Title: Re: Solitary
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 23, 2016, 10:13:50 am
For me the "object" captures very well the feeling I had wandering through dunes in Death Valley, where at random places there are such often unidentifiable things poking up out of the sand. They provide a vivid reminder that this environment is not only pretty to look at, but also quite hostile to survive in.
Title: Re: Solitary
Post by: Jens Peermann on March 23, 2016, 10:14:10 am
I just love images of this type. For me they symbolize the struggle of individuality in a sea of repetitive patterns. :)
Title: Re: Solitary
Post by: fredweymouth on March 23, 2016, 01:48:52 pm
Love the patterns. I don't think the object at the bottom of the frame adds anything though.
Title: Re: Solitary
Post by: polaris-14 on March 23, 2016, 01:56:16 pm
Thanks for the comments everyone. I think Jens summed up my thoughts quite accurately.

For me they symbolize the struggle of individuality in a sea of repetitive patterns.

It is a break in the pattern so to speak and that's what I really want to tell with this image.
Title: Re: Solitary
Post by: Jens Peermann on March 23, 2016, 08:56:45 pm
It is a break in the pattern so to speak and that's what I really want to tell with this image.

It's a good habit to think of something conceptual and then find a subject that can be used as a tool to convey the intangible.
Title: Re: Solitary
Post by: Peter McLennan on March 23, 2016, 09:00:37 pm
Good advice, Jens.
Title: Re: Solitary
Post by: polaris-14 on March 23, 2016, 09:51:12 pm
Very true. Thanks, Jens!
Title: Re: Solitary
Post by: David Eckels on March 24, 2016, 08:52:06 pm
Don't take "the object" out :)
Title: Re: Solitary
Post by: luxborealis on March 25, 2016, 03:36:57 pm
Thanks for the comments everyone. I think Jens summed up my thoughts quite accurately.

It is a break in the pattern so to speak and that's what I really want to tell with this image.

While I agree with the concept, I have to agree with what Scott said:

I like the concept. The picture might be a bit stronger if the object was more readily identifiable.

I don't think you've quite achieved it with this indistinct object in the foreground. Perhaps it works in a bigger presentation where I wouldn't need to zoom in to figure out whether it's an oil derrick or a Tonka toy.
Title: Re: Solitary
Post by: Jens Peermann on March 27, 2016, 10:23:49 pm
While I agree with the concept, I have to agree with what Scott said:

I don't think you've quite achieved it with this indistinct object in the foreground. Perhaps it works in a bigger presentation where I wouldn't need to zoom in to figure out whether it's an oil derrick or a Tonka toy.

Which allows the question, will it help conveying the concept if the object is easily identifiable or will it change the image to one just showing an object in front of a background pattern, completely loosing the intended message in the transformation?
Title: Re: Solitary
Post by: maddogmurph on March 28, 2016, 05:26:11 pm
Yeah, I don't know what that is.  I took a stab at that concept myself, at twilight.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130403473@N07/20672255480/in/dateposted-public/

I wasn't ever sure if I was successful either. But I love the concept and will continue to try to produce it myself.