Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: James Clark on March 20, 2016, 11:40:29 pm

Title: Gradient
Post by: James Clark on March 20, 2016, 11:40:29 pm
Curious about thoughts on the pebbles/shells in the lower left.  Might be a more pure abstract without them, but I feel like they add just enough context to ground the image (but maybe it shouldn't be grounded?)

Title: Re: Gradient
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 21, 2016, 12:14:29 am
I say keep them. It feels more balanced with the pebbles and shells, and a bit more interesting.
Nice shot.
Title: Re: Gradient
Post by: drmike on March 21, 2016, 03:27:47 am
+1
Title: Re: Gradient
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 21, 2016, 04:50:29 am
I agree. I don't think it's going to satisfy a purist definition of "abstract" even without the pebbles: it's too obviously identifiable as that which it is (and what it is is rather pleasing).

Jeremy
Title: Re: Gradient
Post by: francois on March 21, 2016, 08:26:29 am
Keep them. As previous commenters wrote, there's simply too many non-abstract elements to end up with an abstract shot.
Title: Re: Gradient
Post by: James Clark on March 21, 2016, 08:52:45 am
Thanks.  I think you are all are right on both the question and the comments re: identifiably.