Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on March 20, 2016, 02:36:42 pm

Title: fjallsárlón
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 20, 2016, 02:36:42 pm
Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: drmike on March 20, 2016, 03:23:52 pm
I like the subject and the composition but it looks a bit grainy/noisy which is a pity as I think it cries out for smooth tones. But nice shot and well seen.

Mike
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: BobDavid on March 20, 2016, 09:30:34 pm
Unearthly.
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: Kevin Raber on March 20, 2016, 11:30:47 pm
Nice, It was a great location with lots of possibilities.  I like the way you handled your composition.  This was such an odd shaped berg.  Bottom line, nicely done.
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 21, 2016, 12:15:45 am
Unearthly.
+1.
Another nice one.
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: stamper on March 21, 2016, 05:03:46 am
The grain/noisy rendering means that is different from the norm. Something different is welcome and it might even start a trend? I like it and it was worth posting.
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: GrahamBy on March 21, 2016, 06:53:18 am
I like the subject and the composition but it looks a bit grainy/noisy which is a pity

The grain is fine for me, very much like the composition.
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: francois on March 21, 2016, 08:33:52 am
I like it a lot. The shape of the berg reminds me of the hull of a fishing boat. I also like the processing and have no problem with grain.
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: Bob_B on March 21, 2016, 08:58:10 am
The grain is fine for me, very much like the composition.
+1, I'm in total agreement with GrahamBy.
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: RSL on March 21, 2016, 09:45:16 am
I like the subject and the composition but it looks a bit grainy/noisy which is a pity as I think it cries out for smooth tones. But nice shot and well seen.

Mike

I agree with Mike about the shot being well seen, but, for the life of me, I can't see the noise. The rearing ice is pretty pock-marked by erosion but the flat parts of the picture don't show any noise on my big monitor.

Another very fine shot, Jeremy. As somebody said, you're on a roll. Keep rolling.
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: drmike on March 21, 2016, 10:56:35 am
I wish I'd never mentioned noise :)
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 21, 2016, 04:11:32 pm
I wish I'd never mentioned noise :)

Tee hee.

Thank you all very much: I really appreciate it. Mind you, it's hard to take bad photographs of material like that.

Jeremy
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: David Eckels on March 21, 2016, 04:12:04 pm
I can't see the noise.
It's in the upper right quadrant along with what look to me to be dust spots. Other than that, a very fine image, IMHO.
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: degrub on March 21, 2016, 07:18:13 pm
Compression or noise reduction artifacts ?
Frank
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on March 22, 2016, 01:59:18 am
Very well composed and processed. Lovely image!
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: drmike on March 22, 2016, 03:33:59 am
Compression or noise reduction artifacts ?
Frank
I assumed the result of some post processing tool. Nik can do that sometimes I find.
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 22, 2016, 05:03:52 am
It's in the upper right quadrant along with what look to me to be dust spots. Other than that, a very fine image, IMHO.

Damn! I thought I'd fixed all the dust spots, but I missed a couple.

I assumed the result of some post processing tool. Nik can do that sometimes I find.

I did use Silver Efex Pro to do the conversion, and you're right that sometimes it can add grain (or noise, call it what you will). At home, on a 1:1 view, I can see a little grain.

Jeremy
Title: Re: fjallsárlón
Post by: philaitman on March 22, 2016, 08:19:07 am
It's a beautiful subject and an extremely nice composition.
I don't find noise/grain objectionable at all, it's just another texture in the mix which adds up to the whole. It's hardly Tri-X is it :)