Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: nvw on March 19, 2016, 07:35:33 am

Title: Camera Raw Cache Settings on external or local drives
Post by: nvw on March 19, 2016, 07:35:33 am
Hello,

I have Lightroom installed on a Laptop and Desktop, I keep my catalog on an external thunderbolt drive. I have been reviewing recommendations for improving performance and came across the Camera Raw Cache Settings.  These are stored locally on my hard drives therefore I have two cache files, one on each computer. For better performance should I keep the cache file on my external thunderbolt drive?

Thanks,
Michael
Title: Re: Camera Raw Cache Settings on external or local drives
Post by: stingray on March 20, 2016, 12:17:19 pm
I do not have a definitive answer.  It would be interesting to get a response, but suspect running 2 caches may have some downside.

I also have Lr on a Windows main workstation and on a MacAir for travel.  I regard my Windows machine as my main processing engine and as such have the Lr Catelog and cache on a dedicated SSD drive, ie optimised for max performance.

I do not worry unduly about performance on my MacAir.  It is sufficient for my travel needs, reviews in hotels at nighttime, jpgs for web or email use, etc. Of course, ymmv.

Title: Re: Camera Raw Cache Settings on external or local drives
Post by: MBehrens on March 20, 2016, 04:07:51 pm
As long as the USB Drive is a speedy one, thunderbolt as yours is, it should be fine.

More Info
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1814241?start=0&tstart=0
Title: Re: Camera Raw Cache Settings on external or local drives
Post by: nvw on March 21, 2016, 01:07:55 pm
Thanks for the link MBehrens.