Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: KMRennie on March 18, 2016, 09:21:52 am

Title: Aira Force
Post by: KMRennie on March 18, 2016, 09:21:52 am
An unusual shot of the top section of this 70ft waterfall in the Lake District of Cumbria. Taken on a very dull day by leaning out over the parapet of a bridge and hand holding for 1/6s. All comments welcome.
Ken
Title: Re: Aira Force
Post by: philaitman on March 18, 2016, 10:12:13 am
This is an angle of this particular force I've not seen before. Very interesting if a little dark on my screen.

Oddly enough I'm just going through my shots from two other Forces at the other side of Cumbria. Last weekend I visited High Force (powerful!) and Ashgill Force (beautiful) I'll hopefully share my view of these two later.

I know it's cliche but I love waterfalls and movement.
Title: Re: Aira Force
Post by: philaitman on March 18, 2016, 02:28:38 pm
Now that I'm at home. it looks a lot better on my calibrated screen than my cheap work screen so ignore the dark comment ;)
Title: Re: Aira Force
Post by: fredweymouth on March 19, 2016, 08:41:10 am
I like the perspective here and the action of the water as it makes its way through the frame. It does seem just a tad dark to me. Nice job.
Title: Re: Aira Force
Post by: brandtb on March 19, 2016, 09:00:40 am
Ken Very nice composition/view angle, subjects, and most importantly this particular "good use" of slow shutter. I'm don't think the deep shadows being so dark helps this image at all though...you might try pulling them up...and also look at some black and white versions of it. /B
Title: Re: Aira Force
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 19, 2016, 09:23:04 pm
You might want to try pulling up the shadows a tiny bit, but don't go too far or you'll spoil the mood and drama.
It's very fine as is.
Title: Re: Aira Force
Post by: stamper on March 20, 2016, 04:49:22 am
You might want to try pulling up the shadows a tiny bit, but don't go too far or you'll spoil the mood and drama.
It's very fine as is.


Agreed!
Title: Re: Aira Force
Post by: KMRennie on March 20, 2016, 08:54:28 am
I agree about the darkness, probably just the mood I was in. This one may be too light. Also the more usual shot of this local beauty spot taken 2 days after the first one proving that the sun does shine in Cumbria even if, in this case it was just for 20 minutes.
Ken
Title: Re: Aira Force
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 20, 2016, 01:20:24 pm
I agree about the darkness, probably just the mood I was in. This one may be too light. Also the more usual shot of this local beauty spot taken 2 days after the first one proving that the sun does shine in Cumbria even if, in this case it was just for 20 minutes.
Ken
Yes, the new version is too light and loses the nice mood. I would try for a version in between, but much closer to the original post.

The "sunny" image is pretty, but not in the same league as your original.
Title: Re: Aira Force
Post by: maddogmurph on March 20, 2016, 10:42:08 pm
I see some potential maybe in the second image.
Title: Re: Aira Force
Post by: KMRennie on March 21, 2016, 08:25:49 am
Another go at the top of the falls. Plus one from the middle of the falls. Taken about 50 minutes before the sunny shot. A little irony' the best shot from here, in my opinion, was hand held with an XE-1 on the off chance that it might make a shot whereas the other carefully framed tripod shots were taken with a D810. All comments welcome.

Ken
Title: Re: Aira Force
Post by: philaitman on March 22, 2016, 06:07:32 am
I like the second one very much indeed. It's a great composition helped immeasurably by the closeness and tightness of the framing, which is something I do myself.
Title: Re: Aira Force
Post by: KMRennie on March 22, 2016, 05:25:59 pm
Returned today with a tripod and a D810. Spent a happy hour experimenting with shutter speeds to get the degree of movement that I wanted. We now have a little snow on the fell tops, snowdrops and daffodils with spring lambs in the fields so a bit of sunshine and clouds will make my day. Any comments welcome.
Ken
Title: Re: Aira Force
Post by: the_marshall_101 on March 22, 2016, 06:08:48 pm
Perspective makes me feel a bit dizzy!  Nice tones and water movement though. :)