Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: disneytoy on March 17, 2016, 06:17:05 pm

Title: storing large rolls of paper?
Post by: disneytoy on March 17, 2016, 06:17:05 pm
Hi gang!

My selection of 24" and 44" roll paper is growing and I would like suggestions on how to best store them? Right now they are in a corner standing up (boxed). Smaller rolls in boxes are flat, stacked 3 high.

I Also have a growing selection of Drytac roll lamination and mounting film.

Thanks

Max
Title: Re: storing large rolls of paper?
Post by: rdonson on March 17, 2016, 08:08:40 pm
http://moabpaper.com/faq/general/whats-the-best-way-to-store-roll-paper.html
Title: Re: storing large rolls of paper?
Post by: disneytoy on March 17, 2016, 08:30:09 pm
Thanks, that was very interesting. Is it just me, I really don't like the idea of leaving a $300+ roll of paper open to the air. As soon as I'm finished printing the plastic sleeve and end caps go on and I out it back in the box.

Interesting they say leaving the tolls vertical is best for rolls..
Title: Re: storing large rolls of paper?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on March 18, 2016, 07:54:12 am
Thanks, that was very interesting. Is it just me, I really don't like the idea of leaving a $300+ roll of paper open to the air. As soon as I'm finished printing the plastic sleeve and end caps go on and I out it back in the box.

Interesting they say leaving the tolls vertical is best for rolls..

Not what I like either. There has been a thread before and in it the solution I made:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=85732.0


Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: storing large rolls of paper?
Post by: Mark Lindquist on March 18, 2016, 05:05:59 pm
I made this rack many years ago and have been using it ever since. 

We have high humidity in Florida but as long as the rolls are covered they seem to do fine.  I keep the lid closed.
The room is air-conditioned, and heated, so that probably helps.

I store other rolls not being used immediately in plastic in their boxes on a shelf.

Rolls I plan to use soon get stored on the racks below the lidded box.

Every part of the world is different with climate conditions and it also depends on how hygroscopic the substrate is.

I think mainly keeping dust off, and keeping the room climate controlled, thinks go well for semi-open storage.

Mark