Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on March 17, 2016, 10:32:08 am

Title: Bowling harbour, Scotland
Post by: stamper on March 17, 2016, 10:32:08 am
I don't normally do sets but this time a set is appropriate? A harbour which has only wrecks of days gone by.
Title: Re: Bowling harbour, Scotland
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 17, 2016, 12:40:06 pm
That is a stunning set, Stamper!
Good seeing, fully appropriate processing.

-Eric
Title: Re: Bowling harbour, Scotland
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 17, 2016, 03:44:36 pm
Nice set indeed. I particularly like the last two, although I find the vignettes a bit on the heavy side.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Bowling harbour, Scotland
Post by: David Eckels on March 17, 2016, 09:48:50 pm
A terrific set, but I am with Jeremy.
Title: Re: Bowling harbour, Scotland
Post by: francois on March 18, 2016, 07:16:56 am
All four shots are very nice but my preference goes to the last two. I don't think that vignetting adds much to those images, though.
Title: Re: Bowling harbour, Scotland
Post by: RSL on March 18, 2016, 07:24:19 am
A terrific set, but I am with Jeremy.

+1
Title: Re: Bowling harbour, Scotland
Post by: stamper on March 18, 2016, 07:34:31 am
Probably correct about the vignetting. Thanks for the feedback.
Title: Re: Bowling harbour, Scotland
Post by: Krug on March 18, 2016, 08:29:32 am
A wonderful set both visually and thought-provoking .... very well done indeed.
Title: Re: Bowling harbour, Scotland
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 18, 2016, 08:58:09 am
Re: Vignetteing,

I would keep at least a light vignette on "abandoned" (the third one) or the edges will probably look washed out.
Title: Re: Bowling harbour, Scotland
Post by: luxborealis on March 19, 2016, 09:11:19 am
I think these are the first photographs you've posted that I just can't warm up to. I know how proficient a photographer you are in every respect, so I'm not just saying this to stir the pot, but with the high contrast and faux vignetting, these remind me of high school darkroom days before we learned the finer points of photography and "edgy" was all we knew. That being said, given the subject matter, perhaps your treatment is successful in making me feel this way!
Title: Re: Bowling harbour, Scotland
Post by: stamper on March 19, 2016, 11:04:01 am
Terry, thanks for your honest assessment. I always appreciate your posts and comments.
Title: Re: Bowling harbour, Scotland
Post by: BobDavid on March 19, 2016, 03:53:24 pm
The third draws me into it. It's may favorite of the set. The 1:1 aspect ratio--with a circle in the square works well. It's also the most abstract of the bunch.