Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: chuckn on March 15, 2016, 02:26:48 pm

Title: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: chuckn on March 15, 2016, 02:26:48 pm
One of my few photos in color. Comments??

Chuck
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 15, 2016, 02:44:41 pm
Very nice.
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: brianrybolt on March 15, 2016, 03:30:02 pm
Very well seen and I find quite a bit of humour tied up in this.
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: GrahamBy on March 16, 2016, 06:34:25 am
Yes, works for me  :)
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: stamper on March 16, 2016, 06:57:48 am
I don't get it. :(
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 16, 2016, 08:59:54 am
I didn't get it either on the first viewing. I've come back to it several times, and it is definitely growing on me.

That's my "explanation" of it.   ;)
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: brianrybolt on March 16, 2016, 09:06:30 am
I find it humous because the shape of the pillar(?) corner stone(?) or whatever it was originally was meant to be, appears (to me) to be "tipping its hat" to the structure that's allowing it not to fall over - like a friend or big brother.  It's an unusual combination of shapes and colors, both of which I like.   It tickles me.
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: RSL on March 16, 2016, 03:47:24 pm
I don't get it. :(

I don't get it either. And like Eric I've come back to it several times, but unlike Eric it's not growing on me.
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 16, 2016, 04:35:54 pm
I don't get it either...

Think Mark Rothko (https://www.google.com/search?q=rothko&espv=2&biw=1534&bih=1345&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiTw62Lh8bLAhVjsoMKHWfiBk4Q_AUIBigB)
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: RSL on March 16, 2016, 04:39:07 pm
I never got Rothko either.
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: PeterAit on March 16, 2016, 05:13:52 pm
I don't get it either. And like Eric I've come back to it several times, but unlike Eric it's not growing on me.

Last time I had something growing on me it turned out to be a fungus  :).

But, I like the photo, it's the sprt pf thing that would catch my eye. It is full of right angles that are, because of the shooting position, not quite 90 degrees. It's geometrical but with tension.
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 16, 2016, 05:20:18 pm
It is Rothko-like, but the tilt of the white pillar adds the humor which Rothko generally lacks.

After many viewings of Rothkos I have come to enjoy them. It has taken quite a while, however. So I can't fault anyone who doesn't care for them.

And for Peter: I do enjoy Rothkos more than I enjoy fungi, at least than fungi growing on me.

-Eric
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: chuckn on March 16, 2016, 10:51:38 pm
Thanks for the input everyone. Interesting reactions. Does this function as an equivalent photograph?

Chuck.
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 16, 2016, 10:56:14 pm
Thanks for the input everyone. Interesting reactions. Does this function as an equivalent photograph?

Chuck.
Even though it isn't a cloud, I'd say yes, it does.

Eric
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: chuckn on March 16, 2016, 11:13:47 pm
Even though it isn't a cloud, I'd say yes, it does.

Thanks Eric. I new you'd appreciate the reference.

Chuck
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 17, 2016, 12:05:53 am
Even though it isn't a cloud, I'd say yes, it does.

Thanks Eric. I new you'd appreciate the reference.

Chuck

 :D
Title: Re: White Pillar and Shadow
Post by: francois on March 17, 2016, 04:03:56 am
ZigZag lines and good colors… Sweet!