Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Bob_B on March 15, 2016, 01:36:30 pm

Title: Hang Gliding over Blacks Beach, ca 1983
Post by: Bob_B on March 15, 2016, 01:36:30 pm
Just north of La Jolla Shores beach and Scripps (Oceanographic Institute) pier lies Blacks Beach, and towering above Blacks are a series of steep seaward-facing cliffs that are part of Torrey Pines mesa. In the early and mid-1980s, this mesa was the site of a glider port where daring individuals leaped off the cliff and (hopefully) soared over the beach and the Pacific Ocean buoyed by the westerly breeze and updraft.

I spent many hours in this area photographing and enjoying the view. Recently, I started a project to digitize some of the hundreds of Ektachrome and Kodachrome 35 mm slide I accumulated from those days. Here's one entitled "Hangin' Over Blacks".

Thanks for viewing and feel free to C&C.

    Bob
Title: Re: Hang Gliding over Blacks Beach, ca 1983
Post by: James Clark on March 17, 2016, 04:16:41 pm
Just north of La Jolla Shores beach and Scripps (Oceanographic Institute) pier lies Blacks Beach, and towering above Blacks are a series of steep seaward-facing cliffs that are part of Torrey Pines mesa. In the early and mid-1980s, this mesa was the site of a glider port where daring individuals leaped off the cliff and (hopefully) soared over the beach and the Pacific Ocean buoyed by the westerly breeze and updraft.

I spent many hours in this area photographing and enjoying the view. Recently, I started a project to digitize some of the hundreds of Ektachrome and Kodachrome 35 mm slide I accumulated from those days. Here's one entitled "Hangin' Over Blacks".

Thanks for viewing and feel free to C&C.

    Bob

Really, though, the views from above Blacks get more interesting as you point the lens *down*  ;)
Title: Re: Hang Gliding over Blacks Beach, ca 1983
Post by: sierraman on March 17, 2016, 05:49:45 pm
Really, though, the views from above Blacks get more interesting as you point the lens *down*  ;)

When I was a kid my friends  and I would walk to Blacks from La Jolla. Some of the things we would see were..........well...... worth the walk.  :)
Title: Re: Hang Gliding over Blacks Beach, ca 1983
Post by: Bob_B on March 17, 2016, 06:14:37 pm
I still find it very interesting how the sunbathers at Black's separated themselves. Family groups and bathing suits at the far south end, the au naturel crowd at the far north, with those with some degree of modesty somewhere in between.

Here are a couple more from the early 1980s. First is facing north from Scripps Pier Beach, and the second looking down and to the southwest from the bluffs above Blacks.