Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: sdwilsonsct on March 15, 2016, 08:56:51 am

Title: Mountain lights
Post by: sdwilsonsct on March 15, 2016, 08:56:51 am
Aurora, moonlight, ski lift.
Feedback welcome.
Title: Re: Mountain lights
Post by: Arlen on March 15, 2016, 10:49:41 am
I like this one a lot, Scott. Semi-abstract and very moody.
Title: Re: Mountain lights
Post by: brandtb on March 15, 2016, 11:27:38 am
Scott - Really fantastic sky subjects/color! Especially those cloud forms in the distance on "horizon" and the "light patches" on crest in center. I'm not sure about the darkness in lower foreground so dark...and having the trees in lower FG so close to clipping black? That plus the expanse of dark in upper right quadrant really "weighs heavy". Also, I looked at file in Bridge and couldn't tell whether there was some potentially interesting color information or whether it was just color noise/noise.
Title: Re: Mountain lights
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 15, 2016, 02:20:07 pm
Much better lights than I saw in Iceland recently! I'd get rid of the two bright spots on the right, though: they're irrelevant.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Mountain lights
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 15, 2016, 03:37:16 pm
I agree with all the praise, and I agree with Jeremy's suggestion about the two white dots.
Title: Re: Mountain lights
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 16, 2016, 01:02:32 am
Very nice.
Title: Re: Mountain lights
Post by: francois on March 16, 2016, 04:19:03 am
Spectacular light and the cloud is perfectly placed in the frame.
Title: Re: Mountain lights
Post by: sdwilsonsct on March 16, 2016, 10:25:02 am
Thanks for the comments.

The lights are where I whiled away part of my youth, so they have significance to me. I'll delete them from the museum copy.

Brandt, I am travelling and processing on an iPad mini, and I look forward to seeing what's really in the files when I get home.
Title: Re: Mountain lights
Post by: mseawell on March 16, 2016, 01:36:53 pm
Very nice! What a lightshow!

Mark
Title: Re: Mountain lights
Post by: churly on March 17, 2016, 11:03:44 am
Nicely done Scott.  If you don't mind - where is this?
Chuck
Title: Re: Mountain lights
Post by: sdwilsonsct on March 18, 2016, 03:51:17 am
Mark, Chuck: thanks!

This is Abisko, Sweden, 68 degrees N. Lots of Aurora this year. More images at the Abisko link below.

Title: Re: Mountain lights
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 18, 2016, 09:33:21 am
Scott,

I had to check the Abisko link, expecting to look at a half dozen or so images, but I got hooked and had to go through the entire set, which is truly stunning!
What a gorgeous area, in all seasons, at all times of night and day. I believe you have captured the spirit of the place beautifully.

Thanks for sharing them.

-Eric
Title: Re: Mountain lights
Post by: fredweymouth on March 19, 2016, 08:33:42 am
Very interesting sky and colors. I think the foreground takes away from the unique quality of the sky, however. I might try a pano crop here.