Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Arlen on March 10, 2016, 12:07:47 am

Title: Reaching Out
Post by: Arlen on March 10, 2016, 12:07:47 am
A lone cluster of madrones, deep within the Willamette National Forest, Oregon.

Comments, critiques, even slings and arrows are all welcome.



(http://www.pbase.com/art1/image/162747464/original.jpg)
Title: Re: Reaching Out
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 10, 2016, 01:26:39 am
Very nice tonal separation.
Title: Re: Reaching Out
Post by: Bob_B on March 10, 2016, 08:51:20 am
As Slobodan commented, the tonal processing is spot on. (I had to look up what a madrone is, only to find that its genus, Arbutus, is also the name of the town adjacent to the one I live in.)
Title: Re: Reaching Out
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 10, 2016, 03:49:20 pm
Nice one, beautifully processed.
Title: Re: Reaching Out
Post by: Arlen on March 10, 2016, 07:14:33 pm
Thanks guys.

I'm going to do something that I usually don't do, and that is to present the color version for a B&W image. I'm doing so because, first, I now realize that the Pacific madrone may be a tree that's unfamiliar to many, and it's actually quite an unusual and beautiful tree that often exhibits peeling, paper-like bark.

And second, so that you may compare the color version to the B&W, and see what you think.


(http://www.pbase.com/art1/image/162751572/original.jpg)
Title: Re: Reaching Out
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 10, 2016, 09:06:50 pm
The color one is nice, and I'm glad you showed it.
But I prefer the B&W, which has a lovely spooky quality that color just can't manage.
Title: Re: Reaching Out
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 11, 2016, 03:37:08 am
The color one is nice, and I'm glad you showed it.
But I prefer the B&W, which has a lovely spooky quality that color just can't manage.

Absolutely. The colour version to me is a pretty image in rather lovely light. The b&w conversion, which has been skilfully done, adds mystery by removal of colour.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Reaching Out
Post by: Arlen on March 12, 2016, 03:50:19 pm
Thank you, gentlemen. Your comments help confirm my decision that this one best belongs in the monochrome medium.
Title: Re: Reaching Out
Post by: seamus finn on March 12, 2016, 04:10:16 pm
For what it's worth, and after the jury is in, the b/w version is tremendous.