Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: felix5616 on March 06, 2016, 01:01:53 pm

Title: Pentax HD DFA 35mm lens vs FA 35mm lens
Post by: felix5616 on March 06, 2016, 01:01:53 pm
I would like to hear from anyone using a pentax 645Z and the Pentax 35mm lenses, specifically is there any difference between the HD 35mm lens and the FA 35mm lens, in terms of image quality, micro contrast, CA or edge to edge sharpness?
Title: Re: Pentax HD DFA 35mm lens vs FA 35mm lens
Post by: Ken R on March 06, 2016, 02:23:06 pm
I would like to hear from anyone using a pentax 645Z and the Pentax 35mm lenses, specifically is there any difference between the HD 35mm lens and the FA 35mm lens, in terms of image quality, micro contrast, CA or edge to edge sharpness?

I owned both at the same time to see which one was better on the 645D. The Manual Focus (A) version was better edge to edge for landscapes at or near infinity. The FA was quite inconsistent in sharpness across the frame. Some areas were really unacceptably unsharp. Again that is at or near infinity focus and at optimum apertures (f8, f11 and f16). The 35FA was really good at closer distances (say around 5-20 feet) though.
Title: Re: Pentax HD DFA 35mm lens vs FA 35mm lens
Post by: Paul2660 on March 06, 2016, 03:11:19 pm
Isn't the HD a brand new version? 

I used the FA for quite a while and had good results with it from F8 to F14, 645D, but mainly on a 1ds MKII and Zork adatper. 

I have not seen much else on the HD, other than it's supposedly a rework of the FA version.  They show the same number of groups and elements so I would have to defer someone who has shot both. FA and HD.  I have read that some reviewers feel this was a re-work to allow Pentax to work with a higher resolution chip. 

Paul C

Title: Re: Pentax HD DFA 35mm lens vs FA 35mm lens
Post by: gavincato on March 06, 2016, 04:23:41 pm
I have both lenses at the moment, and I'll be selling the older 35mm lens but before i do I'll do a proper comparison. I have the new DFA 35mm.

But gut feel. Both lenses are about the same sharpness wise. The new ones has much less, to the point of zero CA.

The new lens definitely has better contrast, and colours really pop. Not to say the old lens is bad - but the new one I'm noticing more shots jumping out at me on the computer. I was in New Zealand last week and a few landscapes from the 35 just have amazing colours & pin sharp.

I'll post some comparison pics shortly. Any direct questions feel free in the meantime.

cheers
Title: Re: Pentax HD DFA 35mm lens vs FA 35mm lens
Post by: felix5616 on March 06, 2016, 08:32:09 pm
Thanks, i really appreciate the information.