Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Mjollnir on March 04, 2016, 06:30:43 pm

Title: The Vampire Trees
Post by: Mjollnir on March 04, 2016, 06:30:43 pm
So named because a particular shot I took of a tree in this area got called a 'vampire tree' from someone who saw it (shot at moonset in the earliest daylight) said they were waiting for a vampire to come out from behind it.  There are several others in this roughly 5 square acre area around Paso Robles that I've shot a number of times, but last weekend we were getting amazing light without any great skies that I could get into frame. 

Still not totally satisfied with my processing and I didn't trust my own experience with lenses for this format, shooting at F4 rather than F5.6, because I saw a chart that indicated 4 was sharper all over than 5.6  There's just ever the slightest touch of magenta in the sky that I need to address, methinks.

Next time, I go with my gut.

Still, this is an amazing little area, with no fences (although I'm sure it's private property) and no 'no trespassing' signs.  One day I'm going to be there with either great skies or, more preferably, fog.  Until then....

(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1580/25382201932_6cca266bef_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/EEWqkf)The Vampire Tree, cousins (https://flic.kr/p/EEWqkf) by tanngrisnir3 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/87368247@N00/), on Flickr
Title: Re: The Vampire Trees
Post by: thierrylegros396 on March 05, 2016, 02:32:43 am
Nice Light.

Thierry
Title: Re: The Vampire Trees
Post by: francois on March 05, 2016, 10:47:03 am
Nice lines/curves and trees, this is a strong shot.
Bravo.
Title: Re: The Vampire Trees
Post by: brianrybolt on March 05, 2016, 12:37:14 pm
Very nice shot.  Yes, you should get rid of the magenta.  I've never seen Paso Robles look so good.

Brian
Title: Re: The Vampire Trees
Post by: maddogmurph on March 05, 2016, 07:56:29 pm
I think I might prefer the solo one from your Flikr.  I've always struggled with these subjects in this format myself. Maybe it's just my tastes that are broken...
Title: Re: The Vampire Trees
Post by: Mjollnir on March 05, 2016, 08:36:45 pm
Very nice shot.  Yes, you should get rid of the magenta.  I've never seen Paso Robles look so good.

Brian

Thanks.  I've been trying to set up Paso as one of the most amazing places to shoot for some time now.
Title: Re: The Vampire Trees
Post by: Mjollnir on March 05, 2016, 08:40:16 pm
I think I might prefer the solo one from your Flikr.  I've always struggled with these subjects in this format myself. Maybe it's just my tastes that are broken...

It was an is a hard shot.  This actually IS the vampire tree, and the color did look like this that morning, and it also didn't.  I'm not sure what to do with it.

(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1618/24750183153_0b1fa088d1_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/DH6aaK)The Vampire Tree (https://flic.kr/p/DH6aaK) by tanngrisnir3 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/87368247@N00/), on Flickr
Title: Re: The Vampire Trees
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 07, 2016, 04:16:51 am
Good example of shooting an area. Very good images.
Title: Re: The Vampire Trees
Post by: Arlen on March 08, 2016, 05:12:12 pm
Good shooting. I've always been entranced by the almost glowing green hills in that area in early spring, but have always just been passing through, and never had time to get more than a few shots.
Title: Re: The Vampire Trees
Post by: polaris-14 on March 09, 2016, 05:32:05 pm
Beautifully done! I really like the single tree. There is a minimalistic feel to it. Quite modern, too. If I may ask where in Paso Robles was this?
Title: Re: The Vampire Trees
Post by: Mjollnir on March 09, 2016, 11:18:27 pm
Beautifully done! I really like the single tree. There is a minimalistic feel to it. Quite modern, too. If I may ask where in Paso Robles was this?

Vineyard Road, from the 46, about 500-700 meters in from the highway, before you hit Jack Creek Road.
Title: Re: The Vampire Trees
Post by: Michael West on March 09, 2016, 11:37:59 pm
love this first image. the area  could easily pass for much of sonoma county 
Title: Re: The Vampire Trees
Post by: polaris-14 on March 10, 2016, 12:26:44 pm
Vineyard Road, from the 46, about 500-700 meters in from the highway, before you hit Jack Creek Road.

Wow, thanks for the info!
Title: Re: The Vampire Trees
Post by: Jens Peermann on March 11, 2016, 10:08:57 am
A wonderful, simple conceptual image. The slightly larger distance between the distant tree and the two in the foreground gives it a very subtle but strong symbolic. It spells "stranger". Great image!
Title: Re: The Vampire Trees
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 11, 2016, 06:25:38 pm
Beautiful images, both. If I had to choose, I'd pick the solo tree.