Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: IanBarber on March 03, 2016, 02:17:15 pm

Title: Should I Buy Epson V800 or V850
Post by: IanBarber on March 03, 2016, 02:17:15 pm
I have been reading numerous articles over the past week on both these scanners, including the  one Mark did.


From what I understand, the V850 and the V800 produce the same results, the difference been that the V850 comes with 2 sets of holders. I also read that the new holders are now supplied with ANR glass to keep the negatives flat, which surely has to be a bonus over the previous models.


There is quite a saving in buying the V800 over the V850. Has anyone used or own a V800 as i would like to hear their opinion when it comes to scanning 35mm and MF. I intend to upgrade to Silverfast AI.
Title: Re: Should I Buy Epson V800 or V850
Post by: Ranger Rick on March 07, 2016, 09:56:52 am
Sent you the stockholmviews review (and there are others).  I think you get a higher level Silverfast (tho not the top) with the 850, the extra set of film holders, and I think you get a different lens usage at highest resolution.
Title: Re: Should I Buy Epson V800 or V850
Post by: pwatkins on March 19, 2016, 06:48:03 pm
I have this question myself.  Reading the respective overviews on B&H's web site, it appears that the V800 comes with 1 set of film holders and "Silverfast SE 8" software, while the V850 Pro comes with 2 sets of film holders, "Silverfast SE Plus 8" software, and in addition, "X-Rite i1 Scanner" software.  Not 100% sure, but I believe the V850 comes with color targets as well.  (Can anyone else vouch for that?)

Paul Watkins
Title: Re: Should I Buy Epson V800 or V850
Post by: BradSmith on March 19, 2016, 07:26:15 pm
Google is your friend.   From Epson's USA website:
Title: Re: Should I Buy Epson V800 or V850
Post by: E.J. Peiker on March 25, 2016, 10:58:56 am
Funny line in that screen shot from Epson:

High Speed USB 2 cable

High speed and USB 2 are mutually exclusive  ;) :P
Title: Re: Should I Buy Epson V800 or V850
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on March 25, 2016, 12:24:39 pm
Funny line in that screen shot from Epson:

High Speed USB 2 cable

High speed and USB 2 are mutually exclusive  ;) :P

It's the name of a formal standard certification.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_2.0

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Should I Buy Epson V800 or V850
Post by: E.J. Peiker on March 25, 2016, 12:41:10 pm
It's the name of a formal standard certification.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_2.0

Cheers,
Bart
Sure, and in 2000 when USB 2 was introduced that was high speed, 16 years later, using that name on a relatively new product strikes me as funny.
Title: Re: Should I Buy Epson V800 or V850
Post by: Doug Fisher on March 27, 2016, 04:34:20 pm
Yep.  It used to be a positive thing to differentiate that a product had 2.0 since it was such a jump in speed.  Now it is more like a warning that you are getting something less than cutting edge (i.e. USB 3 or whatever the latest fast USB is {micro C ?)).  Given that the 8xx is pretty much 7xx components internally except for the new LED type of illumination source, there probably wouldn't be an real gain by upgrading to USB 3 since I don't think the internal are fast enough to push enough data to take advantage of 3.

Doug