Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Vieri Bottazzini on March 01, 2016, 05:21:25 pm

Title: Lochranza's Castle...
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on March 01, 2016, 05:21:25 pm
Lochranza's Castle, on the Isle of Arran, is a famously difficult place to photograph, mainly because there are very few good sunsets there in a year; plus, finding a good composition is not easy. One evening during my last visit on Arran I was starting my climb up Glen Sannox when I looked at the sky and, on a whim, I decided to go and shoot Lochranza's Castle instead. I was right: when I got there, I found a beautiful sunset and a layer of low clouds framing the Castle.
(https://vieribottazzini.com/wp-content/uploads/6Z10876_FM.jpg)
With the Pentax 645z and the 80-160mm f/4.5. Thanks for viewing! Best,

Vieri
Title: Re: Lochranza's Castle...
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 02, 2016, 03:43:38 am
Beautiful.
Title: Re: Lochranza's Castle...
Post by: thierrylegros396 on March 02, 2016, 05:00:27 am
Well framed and captured.

Very well processed.

Thierry
Title: Re: Lochranza's Castle...
Post by: stamper on March 02, 2016, 05:58:00 am
At the risk of nitpicking the amount of sunsets are the same for the rest of Scotland. If you had said sunrises you would have been correct because in winter there is no sunlight. I visit the location once a year on the paddle steamer Waverley so I don't get a chance for a sunset. Most photographers shoot from the other side of the ruin and the hills are a backdrop which means your image is uncommon.I like what you have done and the praise is justified. An image of the Waverley which celebrates this year it's 70th in existence.
Title: Re: Lochranza's Castle...
Post by: AreBee on March 02, 2016, 10:21:03 am
stamper,

Quote
If you had said sunrises you would have been correct because in winter there is no sunlight.

This is patently untrue.
Title: Re: Lochranza's Castle...
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on March 02, 2016, 05:00:02 pm
Beautiful.

Thank you very much Paulo! :D

Well framed and captured.

Very well processed.

Thierry

Thank you very much Thierry! :D

At the risk of nitpicking the amount of sunsets are the same for the rest of Scotland. If you had said sunrises you would have been correct because in winter there is no sunlight. I visit the location once a year on the paddle steamer Waverley so I don't get a chance for a sunset. Most photographers shoot from the other side of the ruin and the hills are a backdrop which means your image is uncommon.I like what you have done and the praise is justified. An image of the Waverley which celebrates this year it's 70th in existence.

stamper,

This is patently untrue.

stamper, I agree that there are sunrises in winter as well as in summer, and as many sunsets as in the rest of Scotland meaning that there is in fact one sunrise and one sunset every day, granted. However, I can say that there aren't many good sunsets at Lochranza, I have tried many times without much luck; as well, if you google "lochranza castle" and click on "images" you'll see how few sunset images there are... Might be a coincidence, of course, might be that Arran is not a prime location for photographers (how wrong they are!), I have been there a few times and for quite a few days each time, and I must have been very unlucky then. Hopefully we'll have good weather in April for my Workshop :D

Thanks again everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated! :D

Best,

Vieri
Title: Re: Lochranza's Castle...
Post by: luxborealis on March 02, 2016, 07:18:56 pm
Well framed and captured.

Very well processed.

Thierry

+1
Title: Re: Lochranza's Castle...
Post by: stamper on March 03, 2016, 03:53:21 am
stamper,

This is patently untrue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lochranza
Title: Re: Lochranza's Castle...
Post by: stamper on March 03, 2016, 04:02:18 am
Thank you very much Paulo! :D

Thank you very much Thierry! :D

stamper, I agree that there are sunrises in winter as well as in summer, and as many sunsets as in the rest of Scotland meaning that there is in fact one sunrise and one sunset every day, granted. However, I can say that there aren't many good sunsets at Lochranza, I have tried many times without much luck; as well, if you google "lochranza castle" and click on "images" you'll see how few sunset images there are... Might be a coincidence, of course, might be that Arran is not a prime location for photographers (how wrong they are!), I have been there a few times and for quite a few days each time, and I must have been very unlucky then. Hopefully we'll have good weather in April for my Workshop :D

Vieri

Most of the tourists will have returned to Brodick before sunset. Your sunset image is the first I have seen of the location because it isn't known as a place for sunsets. As I explained most tourists will be shooting from the other side of the castle. Did you stay the night or move on after darkness?
Title: Re: Lochranza's Castle...
Post by: AreBee on March 03, 2016, 04:12:42 am
stamper,

I do not require a link to know that in Scotland there is sunlight in winter - I have eyes and I can see.
Title: Re: Lochranza's Castle...
Post by: stamper on March 03, 2016, 04:17:22 am
stamper,

I do not require a link to know that in Scotland there is sunlight in winter - I have eyes and I can see.

I would find it acceptable if you put me on your ignore list.
Title: Re: Lochranza's Castle...
Post by: AreBee on March 03, 2016, 04:54:17 am
stamper,

Quote
I would find it acceptable if you put me on your ignore list.

I do not, and never will, have any forum member on my Ignore List. However, if you wish for me to never again respond to your posts then I will respect your wish.



Vieri,

I apologise for the poor ending to the thread you started.
Title: Re: Lochranza's Castle...
Post by: stamper on March 03, 2016, 05:03:30 am
Rob I have no problem with your wish to respond it is the manner in which you respond that is the problem. I won't say anymore because I don't wish to be banned.
Title: Re: Lochranza's Castle...
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on March 03, 2016, 06:29:05 am
Most of the tourists will have returned to Brodick before sunset. Your sunset image is the first I have seen of the location because it isn't known as a place for sunsets. As I explained most tourists will be shooting from the other side of the castle. Did you stay the night or move on after darkness?

stamper, I have been staying on Arran for a few days every time I went there. I think it's an island with a lot of potential for photography, and it deserves some time to be explored and worked  :D I'll be back in a few weeks, and before the Workshop I will spend some more days to work on the island on my own before the participants come. I really like Arran a lot, despite the little attention it got from photographers so far.  :D