Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: maddogmurph on February 28, 2016, 07:14:06 pm

Title: Blue Lagoon
Post by: maddogmurph on February 28, 2016, 07:14:06 pm
More of a color question here. I've played with this color a few times, and haven't brought it out to the world because I feel like I can't seem to get the right saturation/vibrancy setting to both make it display the actual natural color of this place (which is spectacular if you've never seen it) while not looking too... well processed. Basically it's almost like the natural color is too much. The best match I've got in this image in in the center right of the frame, that color is perfect there.
Title: Re: Blue Lagoon
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 28, 2016, 08:31:04 pm
I have no problems with color of the water (I assume that is what you are asking), but do have with the sky color in the corners. Too dark and saturated, with processing artifacts (green halo). I am also not a great fan of smeared clouds.
Title: Re: Blue Lagoon
Post by: francois on February 29, 2016, 02:13:46 am
I have to agree with the color of the sky but other than that it's a very nice study of different blue tones.
Title: Re: Blue Lagoon
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on February 29, 2016, 03:55:36 am
The water looks fine to me. Were the corners subjected to vignetting?
Title: Re: Blue Lagoon
Post by: sarrasani on February 29, 2016, 07:41:01 am
very clear and direct composition.  Ok, the colours are saturated and strong, but they hold a natural appeal. Artifacts and oversaturation are IMHO
not here. Great effect and a pleasure to see.
All the best,
sandro
Title: Re: Blue Lagoon
Post by: Hidden Grid on March 01, 2016, 02:33:35 pm
This is cool. No need for the dark corners but still a nice image.
Title: Re: Blue Lagoon
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 01, 2016, 02:43:27 pm
... Artifacts and oversaturation are IMHO not here...

I was referring to this green/cyan halo:
Title: Re: Blue Lagoon
Post by: maddogmurph on March 01, 2016, 07:40:00 pm
I have no problems with color of the water (I assume that is what you are asking), but do have with the sky color in the corners. Too dark and saturated, with processing artifacts (green halo). I am also not a great fan of smeared clouds.
Well seen. Gotta smear the clouds to smear the water, I suppose I could take the sky from one of my other shots... I'm too lazy for that.  I'll fix the Halo's though, that's for sure. The vignette is introduced because the corners aren't particularly interesting or compelling. I nearly always introduce a little bit, but this was heavier.
Title: Re: Blue Lagoon
Post by: sarrasani on March 02, 2016, 09:28:56 am
I was referring to this green/cyan halo:


Bayer filter system carry tons of red/magenta, everywhere.   1) we hold this problem, no problem for us
2) we "polish" the whites (in thin case, fbut also other colours) in PP   3) We prefer to use certain types of film
4) we use foveon sensors.

All the best,
sandro