Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: Jens Peermann on February 23, 2016, 11:57:17 am

Title: Potash Road, Moab
Post by: Jens Peermann on February 23, 2016, 11:57:17 am
I'll be in the Moab area for a couple of days around March 7/8. I always wanted to get a shot of the Gooseneck from the river level but am not sure if I can drive the Potash Road to get there with my Outback. Does anybody have current information on the condition of that road? Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Title: Re: Potash Road, Moab
Post by: francois on February 23, 2016, 01:05:20 pm
I'll be in the Moab area for a couple of days around March 7/8. I always wanted to get a shot of the Gooseneck from the river level but am not sure if I can drive the Potash Road to get there with my Outback. Does anybody have current information on the condition of that road? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

I haven't been there for a few years but, as far as I remember, the first part of the road (well past the gooseneck) is doable in a mid-clearance 4x4. But it will depend on the current weather conditions and you'll have to drive slowly. I wouldn't do it at night…
HTH
Title: Re: Potash Road, Moab
Post by: MattBurt on February 23, 2016, 01:44:11 pm
It should probably be ok in the Subaru but you should check current conditions to be sure there hasn't been a washout or something like that. I also haven't been for a couple of years but a friend of mine made that drive in an old Aerostar minivan. I wouldn't recommend that vehicle but it does prove it can be done with care in a regular vehicle.
Title: Re: Potash Road, Moab
Post by: RoyH on February 23, 2016, 03:26:04 pm
I would think you would be fine, it is listed as the easiest 4wd road in the area by the BLM. Shafer Road (http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/motorized_routes/shafer_long_canyon.html)

And from the All Moab Site (http://www.allmoab.com/trails/shafer_trail.php) "Virtually any four-wheel drive vehicle will succeed in navigating this well maintained road"

As the others have said, just check in with the BLM or Canyon Lands visitor center and they can give you the latest on road conditions.

Have Fun, I hope to make my trip back to Moab in April.

Roy
Title: Re: Potash Road, Moab
Post by: Jens Peermann on February 23, 2016, 08:39:54 pm
Thanks Gentlemen. Your responses help me a lot with the planning.

Roy, I find it interesting that the BML calls it the easiest of all 4wheel roads in the area while this site (http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/591-shafer-trail-road-usa.html) claims it to be extremely dangerous. Any idea why that is?

Thanks
Title: Re: Potash Road, Moab
Post by: MattBurt on February 24, 2016, 12:01:08 am
The stakes are high on the Shafer Trail part. It's not so much that it is difficult as it is high consequence if you blow it. :)
This is from near the top of Shafer from my bike. Potash road goes into the distance. Potash was filling-loosening rough last time I was on it.
(https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3642/5764999769_86fff8fe9a_z.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/9Mr8zK)
Title: Re: Potash Road, Moab
Post by: francois on February 24, 2016, 03:33:37 am
With good conditions, the road is not dangerous at all but you have to drive slowly because there's a few sharp turns.

Shafer Trail is another story but you don't have to drive that far to get some shots of the Gooseneck.

Here's a snapshot of Potash road. The road/trail was quite smooth, even after a few days of rain. The toughest part, if I remember correctly, is when it goes around the potash pools (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Potash+Rd,+Moab,+UT+84532,+USA/@38.4337948,-109.625478,10014a,20y,319.49h,33.68t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x87480fb2eb1a83d1:0x5a67f5807b8f469f) (in red on attached image) and for about 1/4 mi. After that, it's just like on the snapshot.
Title: Re: Potash Road, Moab
Post by: Jens Peermann on February 24, 2016, 10:29:30 am
Thanks Matt and Francois. I fell comfortable now. Shafer Trail is out of the question anyway. I scared of heights, particularly when in a car. which brings me to Long Canyon. How is that road in this regard? It seems to be a nice shortcut from Moab to Dead Horse Point and Mesa Arch.
Title: Re: Potash Road, Moab
Post by: RoyH on February 24, 2016, 08:01:13 pm

Roy, I find it interesting that the BML calls it the easiest of all 4wheel roads in the area while this site (http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/591-shafer-trail-road-usa.html) claims it to be extremely dangerous. Any idea why that is?


Jens, my guess is the dangerous roads site is being overly cautious in its description to make sure that people understand the road 'can' certainly be dangerous if you do not respect this type of road due to the sharp curves and extreme drop-offs if you do not pay attention. But with the proper attention and attitude any basic 4 wheel drive vehicle can easily make the trip.

Roy
Title: Re: Potash Road, Moab
Post by: MattBurt on February 25, 2016, 12:52:22 am
Thanks Matt and Francois. I fell comfortable now. Shafer Trail is out of the question anyway. I scared of heights, particularly when in a car. which brings me to Long Canyon. How is that road in this regard? It seems to be a nice shortcut from Moab to Dead Horse Point and Mesa Arch.

I have never been that way. If you look on Google Earth there are some photos from along it. Doesn't look too bad but I have no first hand experience with it.
Title: Re: Potash Road, Moab
Post by: francois on February 25, 2016, 03:27:54 am
I've never been on the Long Canyon road…
Title: Re: Potash Road, Moab
Post by: Jens Peermann on February 25, 2016, 06:05:24 am
I have never been that way. If you look on Google Earth there are some photos from along it. Doesn't look too bad but I have no first hand experience with it.

I looked at the images and agree, it seems to be OK. The only thing that concerns me is a note that said the road gets steep and narrow around the pass. I wonder if there are turnouts so one won't have to reverse back too far in case of another oncoming vehicle. But I guess that a local inquiry will answer that question.

Thanks again to everybody who helped.
Title: Re: Potash Road, Moab
Post by: greyscale on February 25, 2016, 10:50:28 pm
You may want to search Utube for Potash Road. Some videos taken while driving down.


Greyscale