Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: maddogmurph on February 22, 2016, 12:30:02 am
-
The Beach Motion. A spectacular place on the west coast of New Zealand. I spent days here trying to get the right light and never having it come at the right time. You have to time low tide with sunset and good weather. On the South Island, that's a tall order. I was not so fortunate, but my patience did lead to alternates. As the tide came in the entire beach became covered with water when a set of large waves came through. The surf would die for a few waves, and then heavy waves would come in. This allowed me to run out to a jutting rock and get on top of it in between sets. The big waves would splash up towards the camera, so obviously this was a concern, but I was able to snap this one off without getting too wet. It came out nicely, and as you can see this is actually with the waves coming at me during the photograph. It's a single shot with minimal processing to bring out the shadows and contrast. Sometimes almost nothing is needed when nature throws you a bone.
-
I like the sombre mood and the movement. I would crop the frame just above the right hand rock.
-
Lovely scene.
-
This photograph is everything that's good about landscape photography. i particularly appreciated your introduction to the circumstances in which you took the photo. The image is deeply original. thats one of the hardest things to achieve with landscape images.
-
This photograph is everything that's good about landscape photography. i particularly appreciated your introduction to the circumstances in which you took the photo. The image is deeply original. thats one of the hardest things to achieve with landscape images.
Amen!
-
Awesome image.
-
This image is a wonderful example of the craft of photography.
Maybe you didn't get the image that you originally envisaged yet here is an image full of drama and character.
It is almost a monochrome image, and that is one of the reasons it has so much impact.
Enjoy the result and print it large - I bet there is a lot subtle detail to be savoured that is not obvious to us looking looking at a pared down JPEG on a small monitor.
Tony Jay
-
Dramatic image. With the somber mood and the power of the currents, this scene expresses both fear and respect.
Bravo!
-
Superbly done.
-
This image is a wonderful example of the craft of photography...
Tony Jay
+1. I like that steel gray cold hue against the dark rocks.