Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: sawwhetowl on February 22, 2016, 12:04:21 am

Title: When to take pictures at Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado ?
Post by: sawwhetowl on February 22, 2016, 12:04:21 am
I am thinking about renting the Fuji XPro 2 with maybe a couple of fast lenses to try out the camera.  Great Sand Dunes National Park is not too far away and would make a nice day trip.  As you enter the Park the Dunes run northeast and southwest.  The Sangre De Cristo Mountain to the east would block the first light of the morning sun.  However to the west the mountains are perhaps 20 miles away.  Seems like sunset would be ideal and perhaps around the spring equinox before the sun moves to far north?

Here is a map as you enter from the south.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Great+Sand+Dunes+National+Park+and+Preserve/@37.728367,-105.5443912,15023m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x87142fe61dd9cbc7:0x33d7918ad00f83d9

Anyone photograph in the Park?
Title: Re: When to take pictures at Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado ?
Post by: MattBurt on February 25, 2016, 12:57:32 am
I have and sunset in the winter or spring can be really nice. The Sangres glow pink, especially with snow on them.
Title: Re: When to take pictures at Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado ?
Post by: sawwhetowl on February 27, 2016, 07:20:46 pm
Quote
I have and sunset in the winter or spring can be really nice. The Sangres glow pink, especially with snow on them.

That is what I am thinking- Sunsets will be best due to the Sangres blocking the sunrise.  Unfortunately the NPS webcam is not showing too much snow on the Sangres. 

Found a NPS brochure that gives some basic photography tips:

http://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/upload/photography2012.pdf


Title: Re: When to take pictures at Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado ?
Post by: mkihne on February 28, 2016, 10:15:23 pm
That is what I am thinking- Sunsets will be best due to the Sangres blocking the sunrise.  Unfortunately the NPS webcam is not showing too much snow on the Sangres. 

Found a NPS brochure that gives some basic photography tips:

http://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/upload/photography2012.pdf

With the near vertical pitch of many areas in the dunes when I was there last, there may be opportunities for some nice micro landscapes/abstracts morning and later. Possibly some south to north shots with some mountain backgrounds if I recall. Was there mid April last year.