Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Jens Peermann on February 21, 2016, 06:26:16 pm

Title: Pointing at the Sun
Post by: Jens Peermann on February 21, 2016, 06:26:16 pm
One of my recent posts is titled "Pointing at the Moon". So here is "Pointing at the Sun", to create some balance. :)

From a previous shoot at this location - Aguereberry Point, Death Valley - I liked the way those foreground rocks point into the scene and I wanted to use them here again. I had no idea they would be be pointing straight at the rising sun, and I'm very happy they do. I illuminated them slightly with an LED light attached to my forehead, shaking the head during exposure for even illumination. I find the effect quite natural, not as obvious as it would have been by using a flash on the camera.

This is the sunrise I was waiting for when I took the image "Waiting for Sunrise", also posted here.

Sony A7, 28/2 ZE @ f/16 (I extremely rarely use that aperture, but did it here to help with the sunburst)

(http://peermann.com/NSN/JPP-005766.C1_NSN.jpg)
Title: Re: Pointing at the Sun
Post by: Peter McLennan on February 21, 2016, 06:56:32 pm
Nicely done, Jens.  Perfect timing and perfect balance with your LED fill light. 

That's a great location, eh?  The camera's looking directly at another favourite location: Dante's View.  It's fun to visit both sites on the same day.
Title: Re: Pointing at the Sun
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 21, 2016, 08:20:02 pm
Nicely done, Jens.  Perfect timing and perfect balance with your LED fill light. 
I must agree. It looks quite natural and convincing.

Somehow it didn't look that magical when I was there (in mid-day).   :(
Title: Re: Pointing at the Sun
Post by: maddogmurph on February 22, 2016, 12:12:34 am
Sun looks bleached out to me. But then I know how challenging it can be to shoot into direct light like this.
Title: Re: Pointing at the Sun
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on February 22, 2016, 04:05:17 am
Great light.
Title: Re: Pointing at the Sun
Post by: Bob_B on February 22, 2016, 07:35:37 pm
Strong composition, and the texture in the foreground rocks is fascinating. Thanks for posting.
Title: Re: Pointing at the Sun
Post by: Mjollnir on February 24, 2016, 09:34:23 am
Great shot from a tough-to-shoot place.

Your patience is clearly visible in the results.
Title: Re: Pointing at the Sun
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 28, 2016, 01:40:25 pm
I like it, but I find the light unsettling. Your head torch has made the near side of the near rocks lighter than that of the far ones, which is peculiar.

Jeremy