Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: walter.sk on February 20, 2016, 03:41:19 pm

Title: Epson 4900 and 310 gsm rolls
Post by: walter.sk on February 20, 2016, 03:41:19 pm
I just ran out of my last roll of Illford Gallery Smooth Pearl paper, which was thinner than the new Ilford version, now 310 gsm.  Does anybody know if this thicker paper will present a problem for my Epson 4900?
Title: Re: Epson 4900 and 310 gsm rolls
Post by: Mark D Segal on February 20, 2016, 03:44:51 pm
It should not, but to be sure of avoiding head strikes you may wish to consider setting the platen gap to Wide and the paper thickness to 0.4. I have used rolls of Gold Fibre Silk (310) in the 4900 with no particular mechanical difficulty.
Title: Re: Epson 4900 and 310 gsm rolls
Post by: walter.sk on February 21, 2016, 01:26:28 pm
It should not, but to be sure of avoiding head strikes you may wish to consider setting the platen gap to Wide and the paper thickness to 0.4. I have used rolls of Gold Fibre Silk (310) in the 4900 with no particular mechanical difficulty.
Many thanks.
Title: Re: Epson 4900 and 310 gsm rolls
Post by: John Caldwell on February 21, 2016, 08:09:26 pm
I use Canson Baryta Photographique 310 at default platen height, with media type Premium Semigloss 250. Never had a head strike on the 4900 and 17" rolls - 9900 & 44" rolls different story.