Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: timeatk on February 19, 2016, 09:25:52 pm

Title: Need desperate help! Canon IPF8400 and Hahnemuhle Special 9
Post by: timeatk on February 19, 2016, 09:25:52 pm
Hey guys, I am experiencing an extremely frustrating situation with the hahn matte type papers on my ipf 8400. I've gone back and forst with tech support through canon and they can't seem to give any help other than the old update your firmware/drivers...

The problem: Whenever I print on Special 5 when it is specified with the ICC profile, image comes out great, eg. FineArt Baryta, FineArt Pearl. But when I use their papers that specify Special 9 like the Bamboo or the Photo Rag Satin the image comes out blurry and it looks like its printed double. I can see from the lines in my image it would print double lines and that is whats causing it to blur.

I've ran a nozzle check. Perfect. Ran a different media brand MOAB somerset with their specified matte paper, same thing. blurred double print. I was on the phone with a canon tech rep for 2 hours and made no progress. He just kept telling me its the media problem and to call moab and hahnemuhle. Has anyone ever experienced this? i attatched some photos of the blurry/double prints:


(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11755658/IMG_0043.JPG)

(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11755658/IMG_0044.JPG)

(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11755658/IMG_0045.JPG)

Title: Re: Need desperate help! Canon IPF8400 and Hahnemuhle Special 9
Post by: Erland on February 20, 2016, 07:07:44 am
Just a hunch.. Can you turn of bi-directional print and use unidirectional instead? wonder if it's the feeding of the paper...
Title: Re: Need desperate help! Canon IPF8400 and Hahnemuhle Special 9
Post by: Czornyj on February 20, 2016, 08:56:04 pm
Can you make a nozzle check, make a close up photo of MBK pattern and show it to us?
Title: Re: Need desperate help! Canon IPF8400 and Hahnemuhle Special 9
Post by: timeatk on February 22, 2016, 03:05:40 am
Just a hunch.. Can you turn of bi-directional print and use unidirectional instead? wonder if it's the feeding of the paper...

It only does this on matte or satin prints, not the gloss stuff. Could it still be?


Can you make a nozzle check, make a close up photo of MBK pattern and show it to us?

This is the only irregularity I see within the nozzle check, and that is MBK:

(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11755658/IMG_0042.JPG)
Title: Re: Need desperate help! Canon IPF8400 and Hahnemuhle Special 9
Post by: Erland on February 22, 2016, 03:28:58 am
No then I would also think misfiring nozzles.
Title: Re: Need desperate help! Canon IPF8400 and Hahnemuhle Special 9
Post by: timeatk on February 22, 2016, 03:32:40 am
No then I would also think misfiring nozzles.

From what i see on the prints is its double printing, which is whats causing the blur.
Title: Re: Need desperate help! Canon IPF8400 and Hahnemuhle Special 9
Post by: mcbroomf on February 22, 2016, 05:04:12 am
Could it somehow be a problem with the feed (slippage)?  Although it looks like it's too regular for that ....
Title: Re: Need desperate help! Canon IPF8400 and Hahnemuhle Special 9
Post by: Czornyj on February 22, 2016, 06:08:10 am
This is the only irregularity I see within the nozzle check, and that is MBK:

1) Initialize Set./Adj. Menu>Head Posi. Adj.>Auto (Advanced)

2) Paper Menu>Pap. Detail Set.>Special 9>Head height> try Lowest or Super Low
Title: Re: Need desperate help! Canon IPF8400 and Hahnemuhle Special 9
Post by: timeatk on February 22, 2016, 05:16:18 pm
1) Initialize Set./Adj. Menu>Head Posi. Adj.>Auto (Advanced)

2) Paper Menu>Pap. Detail Set.>Special 9>Head height> try Lowest or Super Low

I just printed a head adjustment print and this is what I got: same pattern across the board.

(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11755658/IMG_0058.JPG)
Title: Re: Need desperate help! Canon IPF8400 and Hahnemuhle Special 9
Post by: Czornyj on February 23, 2016, 12:09:48 am
I just printed a head adjustment print and this is what I got: same pattern across the board.

Did you initialize Auto (Advanced) head adjustment? Did it suceed?