Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: StarScapes on February 18, 2016, 09:29:10 pm
-
I rarely shoot birds but when I do I usually need to do a heavy crop to get to a 800 pix wide image (I'm not printing so that is fine) because I'm shooting with a lens for landscapes (such as the Sony FE 16-35 on my A7R). If anyone has a workflow to pull the detail from feathers in a 1:1 crop at that size it would be very helpful.
-
I rarely shoot birds but when I do I usually need to do a heavy crop to get to a 800 pix wide image (I'm not printing so that is fine) because I'm shooting with a lens for landscapes (such as the Sony FE 16-35 on my A7R). If anyone has a workflow to pull the detail from feathers in a 1:1 crop at that size it would be very helpful.
Hi,
Topaz Labs Detail (https://www.topazlabs.com/detail) will do the job, assuming there is some detail to work with. If you really need to crop down to 800 pixels to see the subject, there may be a bit too little detail to do a really good job, but 'Detail' will allow to enhance whatever is there.
If the image is also blurred, you may need to use a dedicated sharpening tool, like FocusMagic or Topaz Infocus, before you use 'Detail' as well, although 'Detail' has some deconvolution sharpening capabilities built-in.
Cheers,
Bart
-
For a free option you could consider Jimmy Mcintyre's plugin called "the Easy Panel" - he's got another upgraded one now you can pay for that looks quite useful as well. Only like $44 compared to Topaz, which is quite costly, but I use "Topaz Clarity" quite frequently. Also there is a free entry to win the entire Topaz Suite (worth around $500) going on until the end of the month: http://virl.io/wgSHfYyr
-
Good to see a post from you maddog!
-
Good to see a post from you maddog!
Thanks man, been traveling for 6 months... lots of pictures to come... Processing for the next century is likely.