Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: drmike on February 18, 2016, 04:49:32 pm

Title: A sweeping attempt
Post by: drmike on February 18, 2016, 04:49:32 pm
This doesn't really work but I tried. Why doesn't it work?

(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1508/24455482144_5f37717c88_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Dg3JPS)

It sort of nearly does as I have good colours, a variety of curves, a sort of horizon that's sort of level but it does have those hard stripes top left. Taken with a 12mm on APS.

Mike
Title: Re: A sweeping attempt
Post by: Tony Jay on February 18, 2016, 05:05:47 pm
Mike, why would you say this image does not work?
I can only surmise that you had some predetermined idea of what you were looking for and this image doesn't completely measure up.
However it is a fine abstraction with a lot of admirable qualities.

I would be very interested in your assessment of why this image fails.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: A sweeping attempt
Post by: EricV on February 18, 2016, 05:09:39 pm
I think it works nicely as an abstract.  Perhaps you were looking for a little more motion blur?  You could try applying some blur in post-processing, see if you like the effect better.  Show us the result if you give this a try.
Title: Re: A sweeping attempt
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 18, 2016, 05:43:22 pm
I find it quite pleasing.

I would try EricV's suggestion and see whether that softens those "hard stripes" enough.

Tony Jay's comment is also quite appropriate.
Title: Re: A sweeping attempt
Post by: Arlen on February 18, 2016, 07:08:36 pm
If you hadn't clued us in that it "didn't work", I would never have guessed it. It looks great to me.
Title: Re: A sweeping attempt
Post by: drmike on February 19, 2016, 02:30:03 am
Thanks guys. I'm no great fan of PP blur, it never seems to look right when I do it although I'm sure I have admired many shots where it's been used and I simply don't realise!

As to why I'm unhappy? It just doesn't look right to me but I find it hard to say why. I'm still hoping someone comes along and can identify what's wrong!

Mike
Title: Re: A sweeping attempt
Post by: Bob_B on February 19, 2016, 09:25:04 am
As to why I'm unhappy? It just doesn't look right to me but I find it hard to say why. I'm still hoping someone comes along and can identify what's wrong!

Mike

I like your photo, and would not have thought twice save for your comments. I can only guess what was in your mind's eye when you captured the image with your camera, but I wonder if maybe you want less sharpness in the bands; something a bit more out of focus perhaps? Do you think that's what doesn't look right?
Title: Re: A sweeping attempt
Post by: drmike on February 19, 2016, 12:12:59 pm
You might right. It was shot with a 12mm lens at f22 so everything would most likely be sharp and that might be part of it.
Title: Re: A sweeping attempt
Post by: degrub on February 19, 2016, 01:18:11 pm
the circular pattern makes me dizzy like i was on a merry-go-round.
Maybe a more narrow field of view (limit the vertical) ?
Frank
Title: Re: A sweeping attempt
Post by: luxborealis on February 20, 2016, 05:42:54 pm
If you hadn't clued us in that it "didn't work", I would never have guessed it. It looks great to me.

+1

It's playful; as Frank says, a merry-go-round.

If you want, try dropping your black point then reducing contrast a bit and adding a touch of saturation to increase the whimsicalness.
Title: Re: A sweeping attempt
Post by: Mjollnir on February 22, 2016, 01:37:59 pm
Nicely done, in fact.

It's refreshing not to see the same old shot of trees done with this technique.
Title: Re: A sweeping attempt
Post by: drmike on February 22, 2016, 05:05:12 pm
Very hard to do those trees though. I tried it with bluebells and it wasn't at well received :)