Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: philaitman on February 18, 2016, 08:06:10 am

Title: A frequently photographed tree
Post by: philaitman on February 18, 2016, 08:06:10 am
For anyone who has visited Northumberland this tree is well known. Lying in a dip between two hills, along the more rugged western end of Hadrian's Wall.
What you can't see in this shot is the row of photographers on the other side of the wall where the walking trail runs.

Title: Re: A frequently photographed tree
Post by: brandtb on February 18, 2016, 09:23:37 am
Great shape of the curve and the tree. I'm not sure about the upper portion of the image - you might look at it with the upper 2/5ths cropped off - making it more about the curve and the tree.
Title: Re: A frequently photographed tree
Post by: francois on February 18, 2016, 09:55:39 am
Nice curve, indeed As it is, the space above the tree is welcome, it provides a sense of height that I like very much. Cropping off the top of the frame would make the image quite a bit lighter and less dramatic but, on the other hand, would emphasize the curve of the stone wall…
Title: Re: A frequently photographed tree
Post by: Otto Phocus on February 18, 2016, 11:00:55 am
Your horizon is not level.  (snicker)   ;D
Title: Re: A frequently photographed tree
Post by: philaitman on February 18, 2016, 11:32:23 am
Your horizon is not level.  (snicker)   ;D

Dammit
Title: Re: A frequently photographed tree
Post by: philaitman on February 18, 2016, 11:37:00 am
I do agree with the comments that cropping the top would emphasise the curve of the hills, however the minimalist in me likes the space it adds. It's always a struggle in my head to decide between crop vs space.
Title: Re: A frequently photographed tree
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 18, 2016, 12:40:02 pm
I do agree with the comments that cropping the top would emphasise the curve of the hills, however the minimalist in me likes the space it adds. It's always a struggle in my head to decide between crop vs space.

I like it as it is. I'll bet Russ would agree  ;)

Jeremy
Title: Re: A frequently photographed tree
Post by: philaitman on February 18, 2016, 01:56:51 pm
Thank you Jeremy
Title: Re: A frequently photographed tree
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 18, 2016, 05:05:57 pm
I like it as it is. I'll bet Russ would agree  ;)

Jeremy
And I'll agree with Russ, too. And with Philaitman and Jeremy.
Title: Re: A frequently photographed tree
Post by: philaitman on February 19, 2016, 03:56:13 am
Thank you Eric,
Title: Re: A frequently photographed tree
Post by: Chairman Bill on February 19, 2016, 04:48:39 am
Is that Kevin Costner hiding behind the wall?
Title: Re: A frequently photographed tree
Post by: philaitman on February 19, 2016, 05:11:53 am
Is that Kevin Costner hiding behind the wall?

Well spotted, he was tired after walking here from Dover and didn't want to explore.