Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: mpower on February 16, 2016, 08:27:38 pm

Title: La Recolección Architectural Complex
Post by: mpower on February 16, 2016, 08:27:38 pm
Hello, I would like to get some views on this one, please....

It's the Recolección Architectural Complex in Antigua, Guatemala. Shot on Nikon D90 with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 at 18mm and a circular polarizer.

Matthew
Title: Re: La Recolección Architectural Complex
Post by: luxborealis on February 16, 2016, 09:37:15 pm
Hello, I would like to get some views on this one, please....

It's the Recolección Architectural Complex in Antigua, Guatemala. Shot on Nikon D90 with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 at 18mm and a circular polarizer.

Matthew

Hi Matthew,
Welcome to the forum. You have a good, fairly straight forward photograph. Great colours, sharp, and well-framed.
The difficulty I'm having is what you are trying to show. I see the obvious, the textures of the ruins, the brick and stonework, etc. But what are you trying say with the photo?
Try asking yourself, what could I do (or what could I have done) to say what I'm trying to say more clearly? Think of it in technical and compositional terms; e.g.  wider lens and closer or more telephoto from further away, a higher/lower vantage point, but also think in terms of time of day (which impacts lighting). Keep coming back to your intent with the photo, what you're trying to say or portray.
By the way, there are some good textures and tones in this photo - have a go with it in black and white as another option for seeing and communicating.

Terry
Title: Re: La Recolección Architectural Complex
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on February 16, 2016, 10:09:52 pm
To me, you have two interesting pictures rather than one.
The problem is that they fight for dominance. The arch is
interesting and so is the brickwork, but the eye can't settle
and instead flicks back and forth between them.

Regards,
Dale
Title: Re: La Recolección Architectural Complex
Post by: brandtb on February 17, 2016, 04:40:48 pm
You have some great subjects to work with and a lot of potential in the colors/tone. Firstly, I would have pulled back a little bit so the right hand column base is not pushed right into the corner of the frame - this door surround base on right needs a little room to breathe. I would have done this most importantly (since your're not using TS lens) to give myself some room to correct converging verticals in PS or other afterwards. If this is the actual uncropped frame - then you really don't have any leeway here - you're going to lose part of the image - especially right hand column base mentioned above. While architecture photography doesn't always have to have all convergence corrected (depends on many things) - in this case I would say that it's definitely needed. Secondly, I would correct the verticals and see what happens - if this frame has been cropped somewhat - then of course you may have some room to work with. /B