Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on February 14, 2016, 03:59:38 pm

Title: Help with which crop?
Post by: David Eckels on February 14, 2016, 03:59:38 pm
I cropped way into one of my dune shots, but the more I looked at it I realized that although I was "in the right spot" I  was not sure whether the shadows and structures on the ROF were distracting. Maybe fresh eyes could help, please!
Title: Re: Help with which crop?
Post by: RSL on February 14, 2016, 04:07:44 pm
Hi David, What does the original look like?
Title: Re: Help with which crop?
Post by: David Eckels on February 14, 2016, 04:13:57 pm
Attached Russ. As I said, I was cropping way in on purpose and that is after a 300 mm reach! Original attached.
Title: Re: Help with which crop?
Post by: RSL on February 14, 2016, 04:17:48 pm
Love the original. To answer your basic question I'd say: "neither!"
Title: Re: Help with which crop?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 14, 2016, 04:19:57 pm
I vote for the second crop, which feels balanced and complete, to me.

But I'm pretty sure Russ would prefer the big scene in your other thread, which I assume is the original (I haven't gone back to it to check).

To me it seems as if you got three great images on that one evening: The dangerous stop on the way, the big sunset scene in the other thread today, and this "picture within a picture." A pretty good day's work.

Eric

P.S. Russ is reliably consistent.   ;)
Title: Re: Help with which crop?
Post by: David Eckels on February 14, 2016, 05:02:30 pm
To me it seems as if you got three great images on that one evening

P.S. Russ is reliably consistent.   ;)
I feel the same way (on both counts!), Eric.
"neither!"
Russ, I just KNEW you were going to say that! ;)
Title: Re: Help with which crop?
Post by: brandtb on February 14, 2016, 08:18:16 pm
I think the second one is the better David
Title: Re: Help with which crop?
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on February 14, 2016, 08:46:40 pm
I cropped way into one of my dune shots, but the more I looked at it I realized that although I was "in the right spot" I  was not sure whether the shadows and structures on the ROF were distracting. Maybe fresh eyes could help, please!
I do strongly prefer the first crop, probably because the dark "triangle" of shadow and the more "center-ness" of the main S helps keep my eyes on the shot.
The second crop, instead, is more prone to let my eyes to follow the S to the right and outside the frame.
Title: Re: Help with which crop?
Post by: francois on February 15, 2016, 07:12:53 am
I vote for the second one, it is simpler and stronger graphically speaking.
Title: Re: Help with which crop?
Post by: BobDavid on February 15, 2016, 09:39:55 am
Second crop--it doesn't feel cramped.
Title: Re: Help with which crop?
Post by: stamper on February 15, 2016, 10:03:23 am
I do strongly prefer the first crop, probably because the dark "triangle" of shadow and the more "center-ness" of the main S helps keep my eyes on the shot.
The second crop, instead, is more prone to let my eyes to follow the S to the right and outside the frame.


I am in agreement with this.
Title: Re: Help with which crop?
Post by: David Eckels on February 15, 2016, 10:10:07 am
Thanks for the suggestions.
I tried a square crop, mindful of Russ' comments on squares and a book that Brandt shared with me. I think it captures or emphasizes the mood that I am after better. Incidentally, this was a picture that I saw TTL and pre-visualized going after it in post. I couldn't do it in camera without a 1000 mm canon and a square format camera ;)
I will be curious to see what you have to say about this version, if anything.
Title: Re: Help with which crop?
Post by: stamper on February 15, 2016, 10:18:19 am
I think the last one has too much cropped out and isn't as good as the previous ones. I am also bemused about cropping to ratios. Cropping for content is better imo.
Title: Re: Help with which crop?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 15, 2016, 10:57:33 am
I think the last one has too much cropped out and isn't as good as the previous ones. I am also bemused about cropping to ratios. Cropping for content is better imo.
I agree.

I prefer the second of your original crops. The square one feels a bit cramped and oversimplified to me.
Title: Re: Help with which crop?
Post by: RSL on February 15, 2016, 11:01:34 am
The last one looks like the nose on an Easter Island statue on its back.
Title: Re: Help with which crop?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 15, 2016, 02:08:56 pm
The last one looks like the nose on an Easter Island statue on its back.
Aaargh!!!
Now I'll never be able to look at it without seeing that way.  ;D