Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Garnick on February 12, 2016, 04:33:43 pm
-
Hello all,
I'd like to get some information concerning the amount of OBAs incorporated in this paper. Is it at a level that might cause a noticeable deterioration over a period of time? I have a customer who is interested in a smooth, bright paper for some of his work, but I am somewhat concerned about the OBA issue as it pertains to this particular paper.
Thank you,
Gary
-
According to aardenburg imaging, the hot press bright OBA’s is rated “medium”. Guess that means it’s more than low, but less than high (which is his rating for Exhibition Fiber).
Here’s a screen shot from Ernst Dinkla’s tool showing hot press natural (red), hot press bright white (green) and Exhibiton Fiber ( yellow).
You can download his java tool (http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm) tool and compare OBA content pretty easy to see which ones have it and how much. Basically the bigger and higher the hump, the more OBA’s. with the tool you can compare papers to see if there’s a similar paper you like which may contain less OBA’s.
There’s more to it than that, it also depends on where the OBA’s are used. Maybe Mark or Ernst will chime in and offer their opinion on that paper. If not you may want to send them a PM.
-
Deteroriation can and will occur. However the time it takes and extend is not so easy to determine.
Oba's do dissapear, the rate is also depending on how ob a's are in corporated. Also when storing in dark papers with oba's appear to shift their white to the warm side. The effect is called Lilis low intensiteit light induced staining.
But other factors can also cause discoloration, like smoker from sigarettes etc.
In short not easy to take into account.
Aardenburg shows Deteroriation induced by light. That is at least one aspect thar can be taken into account
-
I liked the look of Hot Press Bright, but was concerned about the OBAs, so I opted for the Canson Platine Rag, which is still pretty bright and very nearly as smooth as the Hot Press but I believe OBA free
-
Hello all,
I'd like to get some information concerning the amount of OBAs incorporated in this paper. Is it at a level that might cause a noticeable deterioration over a period of time? I have a customer who is interested in a smooth, bright paper for some of his work, but I am somewhat concerned about the OBA issue as it pertains to this particular paper.
Thank you,
Gary
Check the Aardenburg-Imaging test of this paper (or the cold pressed bright). Of matte art papers with OBA content I recall it showed best paper white constancy in time. No competion for papers without OBA though.
Ernst, op de lei getypt.
-
Check out Breathing Colour's Pura Smooth paper. No OBAs, bright, smooth surface, and, going on the performance of other Breathing Colour papers and canvasses, should have very good permanence ratings. Also, it works very well with Timeless Gloss - you can dilute it down and apply it with a HVLP and it soaks right into the paper, adding UV protection and giving you a very durable print - it seems to bind the inkjet coating and paper fibres into a single, thick mass of polymer that can't come apart, peel or flake off, and is quite resistant to being scratched off. One spray for a surface that's more-or-less matte, two sprays for a satin effect and five sprays for a high-gloss, watery effect.