Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: shadowblade on February 11, 2016, 02:30:44 pm

Title: Fuji TV building, Tokyo
Post by: shadowblade on February 11, 2016, 02:30:44 pm
The Fuji TV building in Odaiba, Tokyo.

I'd been planning to head to the observation deck here to shoot the sun setting over Tokyo Bay and the city skyline, but, being the day after a public holiday, it was closed. So I had to settle for a shot from the elevated walkway in front of the building: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107613.0 (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107613.0).

I did manage to get a shot of the building at night on the way back, though. Shots taken underneath the building, looking straight up at the giant ball containing the observation deck.

Black-and-white or colour? I think they both work...

Title: Re: Fuji TV building, Tokyo
Post by: thierrylegros396 on February 12, 2016, 03:13:25 am
I prefer the first because of the multiple shades of brown and overall lightness.

Thierry
Title: Re: Fuji TV building, Tokyo
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on February 12, 2016, 03:51:17 am
The colour one looks muddy/brownish, but if that is the colour of the building, not much can be done.

The B&W one is too dark for me, the texture and geometries are a bit lost.

Interesting building.
Title: Re: Fuji TV building, Tokyo
Post by: shadowblade on February 12, 2016, 06:27:47 am
The building itself is a grey steel colour, but is illuminated by a combination of city/street lights, floodlights and moonlight.

I'll upload alternate, brighter (yellow filter instead of blue filter) B&W and alternate colour white balance treatments later - I'm not sure there's a correct colour temperature here, given the multitude of light sources.
Title: Re: Fuji TV building, Tokyo
Post by: Jens Peermann on February 12, 2016, 06:45:03 am
Nice play with geometric shapes, including the frame which becomes part of the composition by having it at an angle to the lines of the subject.
Title: Re: Fuji TV building, Tokyo
Post by: shadowblade on February 12, 2016, 02:16:41 pm
Updated it with two extra renditions - different white balance for the colour, different colour filter for the B&W.