Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Michael Erlewine on February 09, 2016, 11:07:05 am
-
I received the Zeiss 28mm today (February 8th, 20167). It is not as large as I imagined. It is “fatter” than the others, but not as tall as the Zeiss 135mm APO, for example. It comes with an elegant box, indeed, which for that money it should. I shoot with the Nikon D810.
I have no photos to show anyone, yet. I can say it will not take any extension, which I would expect from a wide-angle lens. I can use the K-1 Ring on it, which is 5.8mm extension, but I doubt that I will often. One thing: it is very hard to focus, again a feature of many wide-angle lenses. I only use LiveView for focus, but still it is tricky. I have not been able to get so that I feel in full control of it… yet. It is heavy, but does not over strain the mount. The focus throw is not very long (140 degrees), which I don’t like. It should be longer for my work. I can always put it on a focus rail, to stack. I will update as I have something to see that I am happy with.
I have the Otus 55mm and 85mm (and the 135mm APO). My first impressions is that this Otus is not so obviously useful in my work (close-up nature photography) as the previous Zeiss APOs, and not as easy to use, but I am new to it, so this is a problem on my part.
Too cold to go outside. Here is a photo from our kitchen, taken in natural light, which is all the way across the room from these jars. I may not have gotten to color right, but it should give you some idea of the lens. D810, ISO 64, f/16, 1/6 second. Feeling a little more comfortable with this lens, but it is still a stretch from what I usually use. It is sharp.
-
I don't see it mentioned anywhere, but the Zeiss Otus 28m APO has 9 aperture blades.
-
Mchael, have you ever used the Zeiss Distagon 25 F/2.8 ZF2 with the 36 mpx sensor in close up shots?
-
Mchael, have you ever used the Zeiss Distagon 25 F/2.8 ZF2 with the 36 mpx sensor in close up shots?
I have not used that lens, but the Zeiss DSLR lenses that I have used (aside from the Otus and 135mm APO) were not well corrected enough, like the two Makro-Planars, 100mm and 50mm. The LenScore test on the Otus 28mm is out.
http://www.lenscore.org/
Those results are better than I thought they would be. To beat out the Zeiss Otus 55mm in resolving power and in contrast, and to beat out all the other Zeiss APOs in color and LoCA is amazing.
I am just learning to use this lens. I think I have all the lenses now I need other than: I would like an Otus 15mm FF lens and an Otus macro lens. I am going to start selling some of my lenses that I don't use. I am an archivist by trade, but I really don't need a museum for lenses. Shot with the Nikon D810 at f/1.4:
-
OK, thanks Michael.
-
Looks like an exceptional piece of glass.
You should look at LenScore (http://www.lenscore.org) again: today, they just labeled the Zeiss Otus 28 the #1 Wide Prime available and raved about it, saying (after shooting wide with the new Zeiss 28), "it goes to show how much we've become accustomed to compromising when it comes to optical performance at the wide end."
Congratulations.
-
hello Michael,
I would really like to see a well focussed landscape shot @ 1.4 with this Otus.
I mean with the subject being further away than say 20 meter.
For one problem with wideangles is field curvature and that makes them useless @ infinity.
Pieter
-
hello Michael,
I would really like to see a well focussed landscape shot @ 1.4 with this Otus.
I mean with the subject being further away than say 20 meter.
For one problem with wideangles is field curvature and that makes them useless @ infinity.
Pieter
Useless at infinity? Not sure I understand. I have thousands of wide angle shots from 14mm to 35mm that are sharp from edge to edge.
-
Useless at infinity? Not sure I understand. I have thousands of wide angle shots from 14mm to 35mm that are sharp from edge to edge.
shot @f1.4?
-
shot @f1.4?
Why would anyone shoot a landscape at 1.4? I'd rather see how it performs from 5.6-8 where i would be using it.
-
stevesanacore,
Why would anyone shoot a landscape at 1.4?
Stars.
-
Why would anyone shoot a landscape at 1.4? I'd rather see how it performs from 5.6-8 where i would be using it.
Because the hyperfocal distance is about 48 meter @ f1.4 28mm- enough to make a sharp image from 32meter to infinity.
Lots of lanscape photographs will fits the bill.
But it all depends on a flat focal plane @ infinity.... i do not know if it has it..