Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Endeavour on February 07, 2016, 05:14:46 pm

Title: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: Endeavour on February 07, 2016, 05:14:46 pm
Hi
I am trying out my Hasselblad H1 with a studio setup. In manual mode the camera is taking good images.

However, when I am using it in the studio, with a couple of strobes, I am not getting anything in my negs (pretty much 100% transparent)
I am using a flash/light meter to get my exposures, and they look spot on when I use it's settings on my canon dslr. But every shot with the hasselblad is junk.
The strobes were definitely triggered when I took the shot, via a basic wireless trigger mounted on the hotshoe. I tried in 800 and 500 shutter speeds.

any ideas please?
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: douglevy on February 07, 2016, 05:23:24 pm
Have you tried with multiple lenses? How are you triggering the strobes?
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: Endeavour on February 07, 2016, 05:41:04 pm
I only have one lens right now (80mm) but I plan on renting 120/150mm when I do some proper studio work. but now I am worried I wont get any exposures

I'm triggering the strobes with an intefit kit: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680984-REG/Interfit_STR130_Strobies_iSync_4_Wireless.html

Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: Endeavour on February 07, 2016, 05:45:12 pm
I am assuming I'm probably just going way beyond what those triggers can sync at.

Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: MAmaro on February 07, 2016, 05:51:18 pm
lotusEsp,

I was going to just suggest trying lower shutter speeds start at 1/125, 1/250 and see if you exposure looks better, to test the triggers.  But, it looks like you have reached that same possible conclusion.
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: Endeavour on February 07, 2016, 05:56:18 pm
thanks I will try. I've only just got the stink of developing chemicals off my hands for one day - I'll again next week :)

out of interest, if I did want to sync at 500 or 800, what are my options? a pc cable running directly to one of the strobes or are there wireless triggers which dont cost thousands which will work?
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: Joe Towner on February 07, 2016, 07:43:04 pm
+1 on the sync speed being way too fast - 1/200th should work, but should isn't great for client fun.

Grab one of these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasselblad-H-Polaroid-Magazine-/111748296587 and test with fuji pack film.

thanks I will try. I've only just got the stink of developing chemicals off my hands for one day - I'll again next week :)

out of interest, if I did want to sync at 500 or 800, what are my options? a pc cable running directly to one of the strobes or are there wireless triggers which dont cost thousands which will work?

If you want to do 500/800 you'll need to get faster radios & strobes.  Pocket wizards only state 1/500th, and generally when you go that fast, stick with a 'system' rather than trying to pair things together.  So Bron with Bron trigger, or Profoto with Air trigger - both I've used at 1/800th.

I've used the Einsteins with Cybersync wireless at 1/800th enough to recommend the package.
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: MAmaro on February 07, 2016, 11:52:29 pm
lotusEsp,

Joe provided some good options for triggers.  I've used older skyports (to 1/400) and profoto air (to 1/1600).  But, if remote triggers don't work, tried and true basics like a sync cable should do the trick for all speeds that the camera, lenses and packs sync up to.

Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: douglevy on February 08, 2016, 10:24:57 am
I use skyports up to 1/800 all the time, but pocketwizards only really work up to 1/250.
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: minicoop1985 on February 08, 2016, 10:33:32 am
This seems stupid, but are you sure the trigger is properly seated in the hotshoe? I actually had to modify my hotshoe to allow me to mount my Yongnuo trigger to the hotshoe. I shaved a little off the plastic in the middle to make a ramp that allowed the metal prongs to actually climb up the shoe. My Mamiya 645AFD required the same modification.
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: Ken R on February 08, 2016, 11:28:31 am
Hi
I am trying out my Hasselblad H1 with a studio setup. In manual mode the camera is taking good images.

However, when I am using it in the studio, with a couple of strobes, I am not getting anything in my negs (pretty much 100% transparent)
I am using a flash/light meter to get my exposures, and they look spot on when I use it's settings on my canon dslr. But every shot with the hasselblad is junk.
The strobes were definitely triggered when I took the shot, via a basic wireless trigger mounted on the hotshoe. I tried in 800 and 500 shutter speeds.

any ideas please?

I have Pocket Wizards and use them at 1/500s with my H1 and Phase back without issues. As with anything photographic you must test it for your use before relying on it 100%.
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: Endeavour on February 08, 2016, 12:09:19 pm
I have Pocket Wizards and use them at 1/500s with my H1 and Phase back without issues. As with anything photographic you must test it for your use before relying on it 100%.
which PWs do you use?

Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: Ken R on February 08, 2016, 08:48:50 pm
which PWs do you use?

The Plus II's. Have had them for many years. Still work well so see no need to change. I can verify and do a shutter test in my studio when I get a chance later this week.

But in PW's user manual states: Fast Sync Speeds – Compatible with most cameras’ fastest X-Sync speeds including: — 1/250 Focal Plane Shutters
— 1/500 Leaf Shutters

HERE (http://www.pocketwizard.com/upload/photos/425PlusII_Multilingual_manual_plus_English_addendum.pdf)
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: Endeavour on February 08, 2016, 09:21:22 pm
Thank you Ken


well I  had another go tonight. burnt a roll of film to test shutters between 125 - 250 and I can tell as soon as I got the reel out of the tank there were images :D

so thats a great success, in that it confirmed the shutter sync was the issue. Now to wait a couple of hours to see what the actual exposures look like :)

thanks for all the comments
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: NickT on February 09, 2016, 01:00:09 am
I have the same wizards and they work great but flash exposure does drop off as shutter speed increases which I put down to flash duration on some of my crappier lights. I should really test vs hard wired.
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: synn on February 09, 2016, 05:22:16 am
I use PW Plus IIIs and Plus Xs. I have managed to successfully sync my d45DF+ and 80mm LS at 1/800 with them, but 1/500 is more of a "Usable" SS.

Try firing the strobes wired, via PC sync. If that works, it's definitely your triggers that need replacement.
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: Conner999 on February 09, 2016, 09:44:55 am
A coupe of articles here might be useful re: triggers.

https://captureintegration.com/flash-duration-vs-sync-speed-vs-triggering-method/
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: minicoop1985 on February 09, 2016, 11:59:11 am
I use PW Plus IIIs and Plus Xs. I have managed to successfully sync my d45DF+ and 80mm LS at 1/800 with them, but 1/500 is more of a "Usable" SS.

Try firing the strobes wired, via PC sync. If that works, it's definitely your triggers that need replacement.

Yes, do this.
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: Endeavour on February 09, 2016, 12:15:19 pm
Yes, do this.

strangely my strobes didnt behave very well with the cord. they would fire once, and then not fire again - it seemed the recycle time went through the roof. Whereas with the remote triggers, the recycle time was as expected.
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: minicoop1985 on February 09, 2016, 12:25:31 pm
I had this happen with a Mamiya 645 Super. Are they going off at all? If they are, it sounds like the contacts that complete the flash circuit are toast. May have had something too powerful hooked up (not sure what the max voltage the hot shoe can handle). Might need to be sent to Hasselblad to be figured out. Do you have access to another prism, by any chance? Just a random thought.
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: Endeavour on February 17, 2016, 08:32:37 pm
thanks for all the comments

I managed to get a great deal on 4 PW plus X's today and.... hurrah; I can sync up to 800 :D

I only have 2 strobes right now, so 4 triggers is great. 2 for the strobes, one on my camera body and the 4th is connected to my light meter

all working great. Tested it at all shutter speeds between 200-800 and its working well.
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: MAmaro on February 18, 2016, 01:03:23 am
Glad to hear it was just the triggers and now everything is working well with the PW's!
Title: Re: completely unexposed when using strobes
Post by: synn on February 18, 2016, 03:36:10 am
If you're in the market for a new lightmeter, Seconic has models with a built in PW trigger. I use one and it's awesome in the field.