Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: shadowblade on February 07, 2016, 12:56:56 pm

Title: Kabukicho gate, Tokyo
Post by: shadowblade on February 07, 2016, 12:56:56 pm
The neon-lit gateway of Kabukicho, Tokyo, made famous through Japanese film and animation.

Sony A7r and Canon 70-200 f/2.8L II. Stitched for greater resolution.

Colour or black-and-white?
Title: Re: Kabukicho gate, Tokyo
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 07, 2016, 12:58:58 pm
Is it really that orange red? Most red neon signs here in the States are rather deep and clean red. Even the stop sign is more orange than red, and I assume the are internationally color coordinated, at least to some extent.
Title: Re: Kabukicho gate, Tokyo
Post by: shadowblade on February 07, 2016, 01:02:13 pm
Is it really that orange red? Most red neon signs here in the States are rather deep and clean red. Even the stop sign is more orange than red, and I assume the are internationally color coordinated, at least to some extent.

Yes, it's that colour.

I'm not actually sure that it's neon... could be some other red lighting.

But the coloured signs in Kabukicho, and across Tokyo (and Japan in general) really leave Western cities completely in the dark. Same with Hong Kong, and, to a lesser extent, Bangkok.
Title: Re: Kabukicho gate, Tokyo
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 07, 2016, 04:56:53 pm
Colour or black-and-white?

Colour, whatever the exact colours may be. The B&W I find cluttered. I don't know what I'm supposed to look at.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Kabukicho gate, Tokyo
Post by: shadowblade on February 08, 2016, 12:30:20 am
I'm not sure - I think the black-and-white version looks grittier, particularly with a slight selenium tone applied.
Title: Re: Kabukicho gate, Tokyo
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on February 10, 2016, 04:16:08 am
Colour for me.
Title: Re: Kabukicho gate, Tokyo
Post by: Jens Peermann on February 10, 2016, 07:28:42 am
Very effective composition and crop. The motion blur conveys a sensation of action and the colors are the life of the image.