Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Larry Heath on February 05, 2016, 04:39:11 pm

Title: Winter Bird Series (More Great Blue Herons)
Post by: Larry Heath on February 05, 2016, 04:39:11 pm
My son trying out his new D7200. Good, Bad, or in between?

(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1462/24721754052_9aa27175ee_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/DEzsbQ)_DSC1552-Edit.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/DEzsbQ)

(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1563/24540749776_28d6b85642_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/DozKVs)_DSC1400.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/DozKVs)

(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1482/24839611745_2e3febdf48_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/DQZvb2)_DSC1405.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/DQZvb2)

(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1454/24211434724_da773b6c81_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/CTtW2J)_DSC1406.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CTtW2J)


Title: Re: Winter Bird Series (More Great Blue Herons)
Post by: justlikebeingthere on February 05, 2016, 04:52:08 pm
Number 2 seems stunning and beautiful to my eyes.
Title: Re: Winter Bird Series (More Great Blue Herons)
Post by: degrub on February 05, 2016, 07:36:58 pm
The light seems a little unnatural on the birds to me at least on my PA241W. Almost like a strobe was fired. How were the images processed ?
Frank
Title: Re: Winter Bird Series (More Great Blue Herons)
Post by: Larry Heath on February 06, 2016, 03:23:20 pm
The light seems a little unnatural on the birds to me at least on my PA241W. Almost like a strobe was fired. How were the images processed ?
Frank

No strobe. But now that you say it I can see what you mean. Processing is pretty much my minimal preset in LR. The light on the other hand was, how shall I put it, strange to say the least. The sun was barely over the horizon shining in under a light cover of broken fog maybe 40 or 50 feet off the ground directly behind camera position. It lasted about 10 minutes then the sun got above the fog layer. Think of shooting metallic or glazed/ceramic objects in a light tent is about the best I can explain what it seemed like.

PS now that I think of it, the preset is what I use with my D800, might not be optimum for the kids D7200?

Later Larry
Title: Re: Winter Bird Series (More Great Blue Herons)
Post by: framah on February 06, 2016, 04:07:56 pm
Love them but I especially like the first one...except... maybe you could darken the shoreline in the background somewhat so it isn't competing with the bird for prominence.

Just a bit of dodging (or burning)..can't remember which one does what.

Just make it a bit darker and the bird will stand out even more.
Title: Re: Winter Bird Series (More Great Blue Herons)
Post by: Larry Heath on February 06, 2016, 05:02:52 pm
Love them but I especially like the first one...except... maybe you could darken the shoreline in the background somewhat so it isn't competing with the bird for prominence.

Just a bit of dodging (or burning)..can't remember which one does what.

Just make it a bit darker and the bird will stand out even more.

Yes you are right. I pulled a gradient filter down from the top and took about a stop of exposure and toned down the highlights a bit as well.

(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1441/24231779734_7570e3cf3b_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/CVhcTL)_DSC1552-Edit-Edit.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CVhcTL) by Larry Heath (https://www.flickr.com/photos/lgheath/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Winter Bird Series (More Great Blue Herons)
Post by: framah on February 08, 2016, 02:11:51 pm
Very nice, Larry!!! 2 thumbs up!!