Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Capture One Q&A => Topic started by: brandon on February 05, 2016, 03:16:42 am

Title: CA on Fuji Xtrans raw conversions
Post by: brandon on February 05, 2016, 03:16:42 am
I'd be interested in other's experience with this.
With COPro conversion of Xtrans files. The COPro CA correction is based on a "manufacturer's lens" profile rather than one "analysed" as far as I can see. On occasions I find the CA Manufacturer profile to be no better than the uncorrected (with 18mm lens I have) albeit always different: eg green fringing replaced with cyan.
Taking the non-corrected file, rendering in COPro editing in say PS and then bringing it into LR (and I must try as a tiff back in COPro) one can then correct by "analysis" and clean these up. But it seems a bit of a work around. Other approaches like opening in PS seems less desirable as I think ACR then does the rendering and makes COPro redundant (including its advantages with RAW conversion). Any advice?
Thanks Brandon
Title: Re: CA on Fuji Xtrans raw conversions
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on February 05, 2016, 09:18:59 am
I'd be interested in other's experience with this.
With COPro conversion of Xtrans files. The COPro CA correction is based on a "manufacturer's lens" profile rather than one "analysed" as far as I can see.

Hi Brandon,

No personal experience with the Xtrans files, but have you tried switching off the lens profile and invoking a manual "analysis"?

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: CA on Fuji Xtrans raw conversions
Post by: brandon on February 07, 2016, 03:12:40 pm
Hi Brandon,

No personal experience with the Xtrans files, but have you tried switching off the lens profile and invoking a manual "analysis"?

Cheers,
Bart
Hi Bart
Unfortunately hat is not an option (deactivated) with X-trans files which David Grover has confirmed in an earlier post (for some technical reason). I guess developing it in Capture and then returning s a tiff (eg via edit in PS, and doing any post including Topaz etc) then analyse the resulting tiff
Title: Re: CA on Fuji Xtrans raw conversions
Post by: JaapD on February 25, 2016, 08:33:55 am
I also see that on occasions I find the CA manufacturer profile to be no better than the uncorrected one. The difference between correction on-off  results in a shift of only one pixel. This shows how good the initial lens quality is.

Even then the colored fringes can still be a bit too much, especially with extreme contrasts at for instance a dark beam against a bright sky. Here the ‘Defringe’ slider can be used with success. By sliding all the way to the right the nasty colors will then disappear.