Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Krug on February 04, 2016, 03:49:57 pm
-
Comments and criticisms please.
-
It might be an interesting shot, but it's wildly over-processed. Looks like overdone HDR -- at least on my laptop monitor.
-
Shut down a few tones and you might be in business, Russ.
-
The processing is far more than I would do, but it may be what you want to say. So I won't say that it's over-processed. You're the artist and must present your work as you see fit.
It reminds me a bit of illustrations, not photographs, from magazines from many years ago.
That said, you presented both a color and B&W version. I don't think either treatment has an advantage over the other because of another reason. I don't know what you're showing me. It seems chaotic, with no particular subject. The tool chest on the right, for example, doesn't seem to add anything to the photograph...neither contributing to the statement nor the balance.
Personally I'm drawn to images with lots of fiddly bits...and there's lot of detail here, but I'm not sensing a coherent presentation here. For example, if it were just of the workbench with the chisels in the back, then I think it might be stronger. It would say "wood crafter" more to me.
For what it's worth, that's how I'm reading your images.
Tom Frerichs
-
Reminds me of a late 1940s magazine illustration. Still, it's fun to look at. I used to build furniture as hobby, so looking at somebody else's workbench is interesting. The only nit I have are the two out-of-focus forms on the right side of the frame (tool chest and tub).
If the opportunity presents itself, shoot it again. And then maybe another time.
-
As an image (showing workshop tableau) that was part of a larger pictorial/editorial story it might interesting - it's not as a single. The feeling/tone is nice. I would have moved the lamp arms just a bit (especially right) so they framed the row of chisels which seem to have so much attention given to them with sharpness/contrast.
-
Thanks for your comments - they are genuinely appreciated though less than entirely complementary.
Unusually for me I was looking for a 1940's Norman Rockwell-esque impression of part of a workshop which is indeed "chaotic" so to some extent that seems to have succeeded.
Over processed to achieve that effect ? - Yes probably as I am usually something of a minimalist. But it is always good - and fun - to try new things, isn't it ?
However, for me, the comments prove the value of this forum. Working alone it is sometimes difficult to see ones "children" as critically as one would wish. I now have a useful 'other' view on this image.
-
I like the b/w version, as it reminds me of an etching (in a nice way). Over-the-top processing? As previously said, it's your photo and if this conveys what you saw, so be it. That said, brandtb's suggestion on moving the lamp arm is sound. Also, I found my eye distracted by the mirror, but that a minor issue.