Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: shadowblade on February 04, 2016, 03:12:38 pm

Title: Brunei before sunrise
Post by: shadowblade on February 04, 2016, 03:12:38 pm
Sunrise over the Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin mosque in Bandar Seri Begawan.

Any ideas how I can fix the white balance on this one? Seems that, no matter what I do with curves, contrast, saturation, colour filters/overlays, etc., the colours just don't seem to come out right somewhere in the image, but I can't pick exactly where the problem is.
Title: Re: Brunei before sunrise
Post by: KMRennie on February 04, 2016, 03:31:56 pm
The image appears not to have an imbedded color profile and looks very oversaturated to me. I hope that this helps.
Ken
Title: Re: Brunei before sunrise
Post by: shadowblade on February 04, 2016, 03:41:56 pm
The image appears not to have an imbedded color profile and looks very oversaturated to me. I hope that this helps.
Ken

Should be sRGB - I converted it to sRGB before uploading to web.

Did you see how it looks after reducing the saturation? To me some parts look heavily saturated at the moment (primarily the mosque) but the whole thing looks downright awful when the saturation is turned down, unless you go all the way and make it monochrome.
Title: Re: Brunei before sunrise
Post by: sdwilsonsct on February 04, 2016, 03:57:13 pm
...the colours just don't seem to come out right somewhere in the image, but I can't pick exactly where the problem is.

Because the building is lit electrically, the colours seem ok.
Title: Re: Brunei before sunrise
Post by: shadowblade on February 04, 2016, 04:46:56 pm
Because the building is lit electrically, the colours seem ok.

That's what I thought. But, somehow, it still looks wrong. Not sure if it's the colours, the contrast or something else.
Title: Re: Brunei before sunrise
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on February 05, 2016, 03:56:26 am
To me it looks a bit over saturated, especially the yellow; but I actually like the boldness, as it boosts the complementarity between yellow and blue.

In terms of composition, I would like to see a bit more room below the reflection of the mosque; plus I think that the blocked black area on the right could be cropped.

The whole rendition looks to me like a scanned high saturation slide, minus the "noise" or "grain":)
Title: Re: Brunei before sunrise
Post by: shadowblade on February 05, 2016, 05:05:12 am
To me it looks a bit over saturated, especially the yellow; but I actually like the boldness, as it boosts the complementarity between yellow and blue.

In terms of composition, I would like to see a bit more room below the reflection of the mosque; plus I think that the blocked black area on the right could be cropped.

The whole rendition looks to me like a scanned high saturation slide, minus the "noise" or "grain":)

Thanks

Found the source of a problem - I looked closely at the original image and saw that everything seemed to look fine with the exception of the mosque itself. Then I went through the stack of layers and found an inverted mask applying the wrong set of curves to the mosque.

Also re-cropped it. I don't think it's possible to crop out the bush on the right - with a narrower crop, the whole image just feels far too constricted.
Title: Re: Brunei before sunrise
Post by: stamper on February 05, 2016, 06:21:45 am
A slight reduction in the saturation slider should work. As it is I like it but I can see how others might find it to be too bold.
Title: Re: Brunei before sunrise
Post by: Bob_B on February 05, 2016, 09:45:53 am
I agree with those commenting about slight over-saturation, but overall I like the photo. However, I'm not too keen about those clouds on the righthand side, behind the buildings. On my monitor, they appear to be a neon dark-blue, and do not look natural to my eye.